Chapter 3: Morning After

The next morning I leaped out of bed in fear, scratching my feet on the glass. I put my hands to my face, knowing what happened in the back of my mind. "God Jack...." I whispered to myself. I picked myself up, dragging my feet to the kitchen and drinking the coffee I left in the fridge. I stared into the darkness of the brew, noticing a red amongst the black. I felt more running down my face, almost a full on pour. Suddenly I felt dizzy, stumbling back into the wall. The room began to twist before transforming to a black box. I passed out on the hardwood floor, drowning in blood.

"Mr. West? Follow the light please." I awoke to a bright light shining in my eyes, staring it down like a caged animal. "Good. No internal trauma, just a cut. Do you know where you are jack?" I looked around, still not fully awake. "A...hospital?" I grumbled out, confused. The doctor nodded, opening a medical kit. "Yes. Now hold still. This may sting a bit." I looked down at my shoulder, only recognizing a few letters: IASO. I grunted, shoving the capsule and needle away from my arm. I shouted, then slipped back to unconsciousness.

"No Finn I'm fine. You guys have fun at the bar." Finn put his arm around me, scratching my head. "Cmon. You've been cooped up for the past week. You need some time off." I shrugged him off. "No. I need to make sure this piece is perfect. It's what-" Finn stopped me by slamming his fist on the table. "He made his choices, Jack. It's up to us now. We've got to right the wrongs that he put in place. Right?" I looked up at Finn smiling. "Good" he said, grabbing my jacket "let's go."

I woke up gasping, feeling course metal against my wrists. Handcuffs. A police officer was sitting against the wall going over his notes. "Hello Mr. West. Sorry to hear about your loss." I calmed myself, laying back in the gurney. "Thank you" I said, keeping my eyes on the ceiling. "Lots has been happening in the city lately. But ya know. Not a lot goes on without the police knowing about it. Like an attempted burglary. Or even a mugging. You out for long last night, Mr. West?" I shook my head. "Huh" the police officer sighed "weird. Cause it's very rare to find so many broken things in someone's home and not be a crime around there in the rich area of town. Busy night last night." I chuckled. "Oh yeah. It was busy." Hoping I could lead him away from his current train of thought. "Ah I see. Entertaining, huh? Must've involved some kinky stuff. Like poison. And blood." I didn't answer. "Yeah. We found 2 sets of blood at your penthouse. A lot of yours, but a few drops of someone else's. Scattered amongst the kitchen cabinets and hardwood floors. Even a few bone chips. Crazy night." I turned my head towards the officer. He was a tall man, tan and very strong. With an agitated sigh i confronted him. "Are you implying something, Officer.....Fredrick?" The officer chuckled. "No. Not at all. Just saying. Must have been a wild party for you to loose so much blood, have poison in your coffee creamer, and a broken skylight." I stared him down. "Yeah. Pretty wild. Any chance you can ring up the Sentinel, have them send over a driver?" I threw away the handcuff's that held me to the gurney, getting up and unhooking the medical instruments. "Oh" I said, snapping my fingers "also my clothes. Can't show up to work in these." The officer gave me an ugly look, throwing my blood covered grey suit at me. "Why officer" I taunted "I could swear you have some resentment to me." The officer chuckled. "No sir. Have a good day, Mr. West." I stumbled out of the examining room, putting on my suit. I swiped some gauze from one of the nurses and wrapped my leg and head up. The chauffeur out front was surprised, as if someone had just died and came back. "Young man. Let's go." Breaking his stunned silence, he rushed to the car and drove us to the paper's front door.