That Six Letter Word

Chapter  1

       Eighth  grade;  the  time   of  preparing  for  high  school,  dances,  and  first  kisses.

       Not  for  me.  

       It  was  the  second  week  of  eight  grade.  I  was  going  to  the  doctor  for  a  check  up  on  a  cold  I  had  for  a  while, no  biggie. But  when  they  were  checking  my  breathing   they  noticed  a  spot  that  was  unusual  so  they  sent  me  for  tests. Nothing  could  prepare  me  for  the  diagnosis. The  six  letter  word  that  would  forever  change  the  life  of  me  and  my  family.

    Cancer.

Chapter  2

     I  remember  the  day  like  it  was  yesterday. I  was  going  to  the  doctor  for  a  check  up  on  a  cold  I  had  for  a  little  too  long. When  they  were  listening  to  my  breathing  they  noticed  something  was  wrong. The  next  week  I  was  going  into  the  children’s  hospital  for  blood  tests.  The  next  day  we  got  the  results.    A  word  I  still  cannot  bring  myself  to  say  without  getting   sick  to  my  stomach. A  word  that  describes  how  my  grandmother  died.  A  six  letter  word  that  effects  millions  of  families  and  kills  most  people  that  get  it.

      They  told  me  they  had  to  start  treatments  right  away. I  didn’t  exactly  know  what  the  treatments  were  but  as  long  as  it  made  me  better  I  didn’t  care.  All  I  could  think  about  was  all  the  stuff   I  would  miss  if  I  died. Such  as  going  to  medical   school  like  I  always  wanted,  or  walking  down  the  aisle  with  a  beautiful  white  dress  on, or  having  children.  I  would  only  get  to  see  these  things  in  my  dreams.