[13] Short Story

She turned her head away from the window to look at me. the car wasn't very big but we didn't mind. i glanced at the clock on the dash. 11:58. almost midnight.

"We should head back soon," I said. She didn't seem to hear me.

"Anything?" she asked.

"Yes," i said, as certainly as I could. I meant it.

She shifted her weight to pull her purse onto her lap. I watched as she reached inside to pull out something small and red.

"What is that?"

"It's a peruvian puff pepper," she replied calmly.
I felt my eyes widen.

"Where the hell did you-"

She cut me off.

"Do you love me?"

"Of course I do," I replied, wondering where this was going. "Do you seriously carry one of those around everywhere?"

She ignored the question and pressed the puff pepper in my hands.

"Eat it."

"What?"

"Eat. It." She said each word slowly.

"Prove you love me. if you pass out, we're through."

"This is ridiculous," I stammered.

"You know I love you. i don't need to eat this to prove it."

She didn't say anything.

I looked down at the small dark red object in my hands. It looked so harmless. It hit me that I really did love her. I couldn't bear to lose her, no matter how outlandish this was. And besides, how bad could it really be? I closed my eyes and popped it into my mouth. When I woke up the car was empty, and so was my wallet.