Chapter 4: The Question

Jacob continued, but this time he seemed to get more nervous

“Edward approached me one night. " he said to he and then he turned and addressed Edward directly.  

"You came and told you that you knew how I felt because not only could you read my thoughts, but that you understood because that was how you felt about Bella, and that we had discovered that at seven years of age she would reach maturity. You asked me to wait ten years after she reached maturity, because even though she would appear an adult, she would only be seven years old. I told you that since you respected my feelings for her, that I would respect your request.”

 “That is what brings us here to this park on this night. I find it ironic that last time I was here; I was confused and angry and afraid about what Renesmee would mean for Bella and for me, and I end up driving here again to have this conversation. One month from now, it will be her twentieth birthday, and so I am here asking you as her parents, Edward as her father, and Bella as her mother and my best friend, for her hand in marriage. Will you please allow me to finalize our relationship and offer your blessing?” 

As shocked as I was, because I never saw this coming, though I should have because I knew how Jacob felt for Renesmee and it was obvious how Renesmee felt about Jacob. It had moved past best friend worship status the day she asked us all to call her Renesmee and not Nessie. Everyone except for me, called her Nessie from the day she was born, but I was stubborn and only called her by the name that I chose for her. Nessie was the nickname that Jake gave to her, and so she asked us to call Renesmee as she only wanted Jake to call her Nessie as that was his name for her. I knew this day was coming the day Jacob gave her the promise bracelet on her first Christmas, and their relationship has only grown each day everyday for the past nineteen years. I immediately turned to Edward and had another silent conversation with him.

Edward, we knew this was coming. He loves her so much and it is clear that she is crazy for him. He respected your wishes and waited like you asked, and then respected us even more by bringing us aside and asking for her hand and our blessing, just like you did with Charlie. I am proud of him, and I know she’s your little girl and time has flown by, but she is two years older than when I married you. I have no problem with it and I am actually really happy. I knew this day was coming and have been dreading it and now that it’s here, not only is it not even close to as bad I was fearing, but it is really a good thing. Can we accept his offer and give our daughter our blessing?

It was clear that, Edward was struggling with this, but he gave me a little nod.  

 “Jacob, you are my best friend, and this is very difficult for me, because she is my little girl. On one hand I am excited because she found someone who realizes how special she is and respects her, but she is my little girl and I knew this was coming and it came way to fast, I’m not ready to give her away yet. You’re my best friend which just adds to the weirdness because it’s clear that you love my daughter, that she is your world. It is also clear that she worships you and that you are her world too. Thank you for respecting our wishes and waiting, and as I struggle with this I have to remember that she is two years older than when I married Edward. Jacob, I really hope you realize how difficult this is for me, because I love you so much, but I still struggle with what I am about to say as I have said before, She’s our little girl. But Yes, Jacob you have my blessing to marry Renesmee, and the blessing will continue as a blessing and not become a curse as long as you keep treating her with the respect she deserves.”

 By the end of my speech I was in dry vampire tears, and highly emotional, as I reach for my best friend and gave him a hug. Edward then came to my side and reach out his hand as he looked Jacob in the eyes,