Prologue

I'm Alaska. I don't really have any nicknames. I once tried to get people to call me A, but nobody did. They like the name Alaska. I'm the baby of five kids. Three brothers and one sister. Avery's the oldest, he's 27. Ariana was born next, she's 26. Then it was Ashton, he's 21. and then there was Aaron and I. We're twins, and we're 16, almost 17. But Aaron was born first, so they all treat me like the baby anyway. Because I technically am. I don't have the best relationship with anyone in my family. When I was little, I used to get along with Ariana pretty well. She'd treat me like a teen should treat her three year old sister. Aaron and I also used to be tight. We aren't close now, even though we were fetuses together. Out of all my siblings though, I'd say he is the closest to me. But he's still just another copy. A copy of our parents. That's what they all are. stuck up bitches and bastards. Most of them have moved out anyway. Avery lives in France, and Ariana and Ashton live together in New York.

Aidan and Ashley Ocean are our parents. They both work in business, but don't make a lot of money at all. We live in a small apartment complex in a town that's right next to a huge city. They're self centered and greedy, and don't care. And abusive. Ever since I was little. Really little. If I acted out as a little baby, I'd receive a slap to the face. It's gotten worse as I've grown. Every night that they come home from work, they find something to be mad at me for. They grab the nearest thing, be it a baseball bat, a shoe, or even their fists. They don't even drink. The mental pain hurts much more than the physical pain. And maybe it's what made me the way I am now, disobedient, rude, bitchy, and angry. but mostly sad. I have too much attitude. But it all changes the moment I step out of the house to walk to the bus stop. Aaron gets a ride a lot of the time. Mom and Dad refuse to drive me to school because they can't put up with me. I don't know. Every time they hurt me, I just manage to go running back to them, thinking that something has changed. But nothing ever has.

School and my music is all I have now. It's the only relief from home. I feel better with music. My guitar helps me through a lot. And I feel normal at school. But if anybody found out about what happened at home... I don't want to dream of what would happen. I'd be alone. But that's normally how it is, right?

My name is Alaska Ocean, and this is my story.