Prologue

Prologue

It wasn’t fair, it wasn’t fair.

“Why?” She asked with a tear streaked face, “Why is my life more important than hers? Why would you let her die?”

The frustration gnawed at her mind. She didn’t understand their ways, and never would. If this was what it meant to be ‘superior’, then she wanted nothing to do with their world.

“You have to understand-” He tried to explain, but to no avail.

“I don’t!” She screamed at him. “I want to you to bring her back!” She demanded, irrationally. Even she knew that this wasn’t a light matter, but her emotions had overpowered her ability to reason.

“I can’t!” He screamed. He had to make her understand; she couldn’t revolt against her own people or the consequences would be grave.

Her eyes hardened. “You say that you’re from Dimension One as if it makes you royalty, superior. It doesn’t” she spat out with venom. “Dimension Three may be filled with weaklings, but they have much more humanity than you people ever will!” She tried to calm her ragged breathing.

“She’s not dead yet. There are no rules preventing you from saving her,” she finally said with an icy tone.

He sighed. He couldn’t refuse this request. They needed her allegiance in the near future. If he let her friend die now... With a final reluctant grumble, he spoke: “There is one way.”

Her eyes suddenly lit up. She would agree to anything at this point. She looked at him eagerly, waiting for the details.

 “I’ll send you three back to your dimension, at the time of your transportation. However, she will retain no memory of the entire trip.”

She let out a large sigh of relief and blinked away the last tear. She couldn’t wait to get back home and pretend that nothing had ever happened.

She decided to follow him with no questions, ignoring the prickling sensation of unease at the back of her mind.