C H A P T E R F O U R: WHAT'S IN A NAME

Note: This is very important. I won't be posting the old story for you guys to read, I sent out a message a while ago saying that my old computer crashed and I lost all of my work, much of the original book was lost so I now only have a few chapters left, so I'm very sorry but I'm not going to post it again. 

      I awoke that morning tangled in my coverlets with my glasses pressing hard into my temple. My body felt tight and unrested from sleeping in my jeans and boots and I rubbed the crust from my eyes as I stumbled into the bathroom and fumbled with the knob to the shower. Shedding my rumpled clothes and stepping into the stall, the tiles were ice cold under my bare feet and the steaming water eased the creases in my face from the pillow and my glasses. I was tempted to stay in their all morning but the scent of breakfast was calling me from downstairs so I dried myself off, grabbing a pair of suede skinnies with leather detail and a burgundy sweater that reached my knees. I headed to the kitchen with a rumbling stomach, straightening my glasses and scraping my curls back into a messy ponytail.

      Upon entering the kitchen, I was surprised to see Marshal Hanson seated at one of the kitchen chairs, reading the paper with a coffee mug clutched in between his callused hands. Toby greeted me from his highchair by picking up the toy stegosaurus he was playing with and making it roar at me. My mother was leaning over the stove where eggs and bacon were sizzling in the griddle. She turned when I came into the room with a swirl of crimson hair and a glittering smile. "Good morning honey, how'd you sleep last night?" she questioned softly, gliding over to press a gentle kiss to my forehead.

      "It could have been better," I grumbled moodily, still rubbing my sore temple as I hugged her. She laughed lowly, ruffling my already untidy hair and returning to the food on the stove. Hanson set down the paper to grin wryly at me.

      "Don't quote me on this, but I've heard from some very reliable sources that it is much easier to get a good night's rest if you don't sleep in your glasses," he winked, eyeing the side of my face. I scowled at him, raising up a hand, fully knowing the flesh on my temple was red and irritated and covered it. He chuckled at my scathing look, blue eyes crinkling at the corners, before turning serious. "Are you worried about something Bonnie? You know if you need anything you can just ask me, that's exactly what I'm here for."

      "Thanks Marshal," I smiled, "but I'm just having a hard time finding a job, all the other college kids farther down the mountain are off for the holidays and come up here seeking jobs for the tourist season, nobody is hiring." It was a half-truth, my sleepless night had more to do with burning, black eyes but I was beginning to worry about money, I didn't feel it was fair for my mother to support me when I was a fully capable adult. With a heaving sigh, I collapsed into one of the chairs at the table as Marley entered the kitchen next, shoulders hunched like a zombie, strawberry-blonde hair a haystack on her head.

      "Food!" she groaned, shuffling to stand next to our mother and paw at the air around the sizzling breakfast. Mom shoved her away, half amused and half annoyed so Marley retreated to the table top where the Marshal and I sat, sinking onto a stool and resting her head against the grained wood with a sigh.

      Marshal Hanson was gazing at me considering, rubbing a hand over the slight shadow at his jaw. "If you didn't mind the drive, you could check up at the ski resort," he suggested, rising from the chair and smoothing the crinkles from his suit, "there's a large amount of turnover there and since it's almost the season, they'll always be hiring." He clasped me on the shoulder and smiled kindly, "just take the highway north until you get to the turnoff, it'll be through the forest," Hanson turned to my mother and smiled even wider, "thank you for the coffee Jill, it's always a pleasure to see you."