Leave Me Alone

As my feet carry me faster and faster through the never ending maze, I try my hardest to concentrate on any and every noise made. I hear the glass beneath my feet crumble under my weight. I hear my breathing become heavier with every move I make. I hear my fingers sliding along the walls as they try to feel for the next turn. Most of all, I hear Him. He giggles through the tears he chokes on, stepping closer to me without a care.

Just as I begin to lose hope, I look up and see a rectangular light merely feet from me. The door shone, it was a true beacon of safety. I forced my legs to move faster, my will power now amplified. The closer to the door I get, the less I hear Him. I know I should get out first, but I want to see Him. I slow to a stop, bending to pick up a large, clear piece of shattered glass. As I turn, I tilt my head up cautiously, ready for what I might see. "He-He's not there."

"He was never there, Saddie." My eyes snap open and I am no longer in the maze. Everything floods back to me like a tidal wave. 'Mom sent me to the psychiatrist.' I thought 'Right.' I sit up slowly as the salt and pepper haired man hands me a cup of water and explains to me what I'm really running from. He believes it's a part of me that I don't want to accept, some part of my psych that is haunting me. 'I don't believe him, I can't.'

He fixes his low glasses and sends me back to the waiting room where my mother had been for the past hour. I ruffled my messy red hair and walked closer to her as she signed me out. Looking up from the sheet, she smiled sweetly, but her worried eyes told me that she was anything but happy. Her smile lines had long faded, still on her face like memories of her forgotten past. Her forehead was still wrinkled with lines of curiosity that never left her face. Getting into the car, I notice her nails are chewed because of recent events, which only makes me feel worse.

As we pull into the drive way, I get prepared for my older brother and I's usual banter. He is always mouthing off to me. My mom blames me for his actions, saying that I taught him how to be sassy. The car door creaks as I open it, stepping out into the cool night air. The floor whines as I tip toe into the house, Constantine being the first thing I saw. His blonde hair hangs in his face, making it hard to see him. His slim body draped across a chair, long legs dangling over the arm. His thin fingers tighten on his PSP as he played vigorously, not yet noticing my existence.

Any hope to slip passed him crumpled as my mom slams the door behind her. Constantine's bright blue eyes flick up from his screen, landing on me with a twisted grin. "Hey, freak!" He shouts, poking fun at me as usual. "Shut it, loser." I snap, clearly not wanting to converse. I toss my door open, slamming and locking it behind me. My bed squealed as I fell on it, but I paid it no mind.

I shut my eyes and began to drift off until I felt a hand tighten around my throat. My eyes shoot open as I'm hoisted up into the air. I realize that I am no longer in my bed, but once again in the maze. He is standing in front of me, looking like the monster he is, His grip sending pain throughout my throat. My hand reflexively tightened, reminding me of the glass I had found before I had woken up. I swing my arm up and behind my head, throwing it down into the mask on his face with all my might.

With a resounding crack, the mask shatters and I crumble to the floor like paper. As he squealed like a dying pig, I tilted my head up, peering at the man who had once frightened me. Shattered pieces of porcelain fall to the ground, clanking at the connection. With a crooked smile, I slowly stand, extending a hand to his mask. The feeling was cold and smooth against my fingers. An empowering feeling builds up inside of me, and I know what must be done.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I scream, my grip on the mask tightening, breaking it further. I throw him backwards, letting him cry in agony. With one final scream, he is reduced to nothing but ashes. I know now that I am free. I close my eyes, letting the feeling take me over. It's a nice, warm feeling. My eyes slowly open, and I find that I'm back in my bed. I look up to see Constantine closing the door to my room, and realize my blanket is now pulled over me.

I snuggle into the comforter, closing my eyes and drifting off again. This time, my dreams will be comforting.