Chapter 5

I woke up the feeling of a warm wet cloth gently wiping at my back.  It still hurt like hell, so I gave in and groaned softly into the pillow.

    "Shhhh Arya, if the guards hear you then someone will come in immediatly before I can fully help you."  The voice was a whisper, soft and caring.  Faerin of course.

    Slowly I turned my head to the side so that if I glanced to the side, I could see him, barely.  "Faerin..."  His name was all I could croak out.  My throat felt so dry, like a desert that knows no water at all.  My back.  Oh man, my back felt like...well, I don't know what to compair it to since I have never felt anything like this in my life.  Every little move of my muscles burned to my back and almost had me at tears if I was any other girl.  "Faerin how..how bad?" I asked as quiet as I could.

    He sighed and knelt down by my face so I could look at him without straining.  "When I went to report to your father, he was in discusion with prince Derek.  I listened for as long as I could without being discovered, but I overhead your father say, "Well you got what you asked for prince Derek.  You saw the strength of my daughter, although I did not wish to use the Naracrah Poison on her.  I hope you are pleased with what you saw because I will not do it again for your enjoyment or test, no matter if you are a guest here."  I didn't get to hear prince Dereks response, or I would have been discovered behind the pole."  He sighed again.  "When I got the chance to leave, I went home, gathered what I woud need and came here."  He brushed a strand of hair from my face lightly, looking at something near my ear and jaw.

    "Whats...whats there?"  The whip couldn't have hit my face, I would have remembered it I think, and I know that I didn't hit the ground when I blacked out, Faerin wouldn't have let that happen.

    "You have a smaller cut here, but I don't know from what..."  He trailed off, as confused as I am.  "I didn't let you hit the ground when you blacked out, and I don't recall the whip hitting your face either.  Did you have this before the whipping?"

   "No, you healed me, remember?"

    "Yes, then from what..."  Trailing off he got a hard glint in his eye and his jaw clenches as did his hand on the bed next to me.  His knuckles turled white and hi shand shook from how hard he was clenching it. 

    "Faerin what.." I asked wearly.  I wasn't sure I wanted to know.

    "When I started to come up to help you, someone was already in here.  I couldn't tell who at first but I stayed hidden until your visitor left.  When they passed the window I was waiting at...Arya it was prince Derek.  I think he must have cut you, to prove that he could get to you, or a warning, but for what I do not know."

    I let that sink in for about five secodns before I almost yell but Faerin, knowing me so well, covered my mouth with his hand quickly, silencing me.  I glared till he let go then asked in a quieter, and much calmer voice, "Why would he cut me?  Yes, I know he hates me and all and just wants to become a king.."  A story I'll tell you all later.  "...but still, why would he hurt me wnen I've already been hurt?"

    "I don't know Arya, I really don't know.  I could find out for you, if you wanted me too."  He looked hesitant, and he should.  He was asking me if I wanted him to risk his rank, his position, even maybe his life just to go spy and interogate Derek. 

    I shook my head slowly in no.  No way was I going to let my best friend do that, I would do it one my own.  "No I would rather have you where you are.  I can do it myself once I heal.  Thanks anyways."  I paused and tried to feel how much poison was in my system, how much my body healed already and what had actually happened to my back, besides the obvious that is.  "How much is healed?"