Chapter Five

Standing in front of my open closet, wrapped in a fluffy towel, I think back to what my new friends said at practice. They were obviously wrong about Joshua. Why would he be even remotely interested in me? He probably doesn't even register my existence.

The scent of soap lingered in the air, mixed with the vanilla of my body lotion. My wet hair hung limply over my left shoulder, waiting to be brought to life by the magic that is a hair dryer and styling products. I'm trying to figure out what to wear, which for me has never been an easy task.

My grandmother had informed me that we would be having guests over for dinner, after I'd gotten home from practice. I don't want to overdress and be uncomfortable the entire evening, yet I don't want to look the country bumpkin part either.

Finally I decide on a white summer dress, combining it with a stone wash denim jacket and my white Tomy's. Glancing in the full length mirror behind my bedroom door, I'm still not completely satisfied with my appearance. I've never been one of those fashion forward types of girls, so I just shrug and start on my hair. I decide to let my hair hang naturally after I dry it, with only a small clip to take some hair away from my face. I keep my makeup light and natural, finishing off by putting on the small diamond studded earrings my father gave me for my fourteenth birthday.

I turn the old brass doorknob and step outside my bedroom. A hungry growl comes from somewhere in my stomach as the aroma of roasted lamb drifts into my nose. It seems that my grandmother is going all out.

Hoping that our guests will be arriving soon, I start descending the staircase. I skipped lunch because of practice and for me that's almost as bad as forgetting to brush my teeth. It can be said that I live to eat.

Upon entering the kitchen, I find my grandmother stirring something on the stove with a wooden spoon.

"Mmm, the food smells wonderful Gran," I say as I move closer to peek into the pots.

She smiles and looks at me. "You're just hungry my dear, as always. You know they say hunger is the best cook."

"That's not true!" She laughs and I start laughing too. "Fine. Yes, I am ravenous, but the nose knows what the nose knows. And that is, that whatever it is that you're making, is going to be delicious. As always."

She gives me a warm smile, hugging me with one arm. "Tell that to your grandfather. He's never satisfied with my cooking, always having to add a ton of salt to everything."

I giggle at the thought. My grandfather really does add salt to everything.

"Can I help you with anything Gran?" I ask even though it seems that she's nearly done.

"I would be grateful if you could finish setting the table for me," she says as she glances at the clock.

I agree and walk to the dining room. Humming to myself I quickly set the table. It starts raining softly outside, and thankful for the break from the heat I open one of the windows to let the cool breeze in. As I lay the last fork down, my mother comes rushing through the front door. She calls a quick hello before running up the stairs.

"Juliet dear, won't you please go call your grandfather for me? He's probably still combing his five hairs, and our guests will be here soon." My grandmother winks at me when she's done talking and I feign a scandalized expression at her. My grandfather would be acutely offended at her comment, since he was in deep denial over his receding hairline.

The crunch of tires on gravel travels through the open window, and my grandmother peeks out. "They're here!" she calls out to me.

With that she rushes to the front door, ready to play the part of hostess.