Chapter 3

***

Yes, I do realize it's not very long...I'm sorry, but I will eventually find a dress so that you guys can see it.

***

The next few school days seem to blur by, the days on my calendar slashed with red pen.  The pack didn’t meet again, but every so often I went for a run.  It was my only way of escape, of truly allowing me to feel loved.  The forest around me comforted me and made me feel at home, like I belonged there.

Sure, Blaine loved me, but he was a brother and could only do so much before getting on your nerves.  The hard parts about not having friends was having to keep every feeling bottled up inside of you and not feel true happiness when it’s all around you.

I want to vent out my anger, become a volcano and spew lava everywhere with my anger.  Nobody would be mad at me and they would be wary of me.  At least then they would see me and know me.  The woods cannot see and know me.

Even within the pack, I am not truly noticed, only an authority figure who you know but never talk to.  I have a higher social ranking, but it’s not much to boast about.  The Water Pack didn’t have too many members, only six.  There is Drew, the alpha, then me, because I am a royal and have water powers, Blaine, another royal, and the rest are Tracy, Red, and Frodo.

Frodo is the gloomiest of us all, his name making him ashamed of himself.  His parents are a giant Lord of The Rings (LOTR) fans, and they truly didn’t want their child.  But, to keep up appearances, they kept Frodo.  Frodo’s parents did not like Frodo, and say that he did not even try to hold on to the ring, and Sam should have gotten wide fame.

People laugh at his name, and the name is then explained.  But after that, even Frodo talks, even if it is just a few sentences.  People tend to shy away from me no matter what methods I try to get them to talk and have fun with me.  At this point, I give up; Frodo has a better chance of being popular than me.

***

Rain patters on the cement, making me cringe and cling to the frame of the window.  Rain means I cannot go run outside tonight because I would track in dirt and mud.  Father would yell and get mad at me; he tends to do things like that.

Mary sweeps into the room, barely making a sound on the wooden floor.  Her shoes create a quiet ding as their buckles click together.  I turn around, clothed in sweat pants and a large t-shirt from school’s spirit week.  Mary clicks her tongue to the top of her mouth, displaying her disaproovement.

She slightly pushes me from the window and grabs the edges of the curtains, swinging them together with a whoosh.  I step back, irritated at her obvious irritation with me.  I was meant to be ready hours ago, but I didn’t want to wear the giant ball gown that I must wear all the time.

Today is the Holly Ball that is hosted every year on the first Saturday of November.  Of course, it is only the wealthy upper class that comes, which allows Blaine and me not to be detected at the school we go to.  Everyone dresses in some of their finest clothes and we dance, drink, and laugh.  Well, that’s what I’m supposed to do, but I tend to disappear in a dark corner.

Mary touches my elbow and I sigh and walk to my bed and sit down on it.  Mary walks to my closet, opening the mahogany doors.  She selects a beautiful ice blue dress with silver sequins making a swirl pattern on the top, stopping just at the waist to let the bottom poof out to the floor.

I slip on the dress, letting the cool fabric soothe me.  Just looking down at the dress, I can already tell that it is going to be stepped on multiple times.  I dread hearing all the sorrys that I’m going to get and the panicked facial expressions.  You stepped on it, get over it!

Mary brings over a pair of silver heels, just short enough to allow me to walk, but high enough for me to trip a lot.  I’m forced to sit still for thirty minutes of my hair being pulled and my scalp being pricked.  But finally my outfit was complete and I looked gorgeous.

Mary leads me down the hallway and downstairs, towards the ballroom.  I can hear the band playing a slow song, only music playing, no words.  Everyone turns when I enter the room and dips either into a curtsy or bow.  I nod my head in acknowledgement, and walk straight down the drink table.

Taking a glance around, I snag a glass of wine, taking a giant gulp from it.  The flavors explode in my mouth, and I’m glad I can get intoxicated on a drink that at least tastes good.  Nobody takes any heed of me, so I take another glass of wine and down it.  My head starts to spin and I can tell my idea is working.  I slip another glass in my hand and stumble to the corner where a seat is sitting lonely.

I sit down, barely noticing that Mary had left the ball and that Blaine had girl lined up and circling him.  I slouch in an unladylike manner and sip this wine, allowing the now untastable wine to pool in my mouth.

The world seems to fog up, and events blur together.  I see Father enter, but don’t stand like everyone else does to acknowledge him.  He doesn’t acknowledge me either.  I lean my head back and smile, everything about that was funny.  A giggle peels out of my mouth, and I cover my mouth with my gloved hand causing a louder giggle to burst forth.

A boy about my age turns around at the sudden noise and raises his brows at me.  This causes me to laugh even harder until my face turns a splotchy red and my eyes to water.  The boy squints to see my face better and takes a step forward.  Recognition lights his green eyes and he laughs with me.

I can already tell that he is thinking that Princess Brittney is now officially drunk and is laughing at nothing in particular.  Turning in a circle, he looks around.  Finally, his eyes land on what he is looking for: a chair.  He grabs it and pulls it up to sit next to me.

Everyone continues their dancing as this strange new boy sits and starts to look at me.  I cannot imagine what the heck he is thinking this time.