Raising A Two Year Old And Planning A Wedding? Sigh...

Chapter Seven... Raising A Two Year Old And Planning A Wedding? Sigh...

After living in our apartment for two weeks, we finally had a nightmare-free night for Addison.

Even as she dreamed, the poor girl talked of her parents in her sleep. She was talking to herself one night, and asking her mother what she thought of the pretty dress that I'd bought for her. It made me wonder if in her subconscious thoughts, she believed she could still talk to her mother.

It brought tears to my eyes every time.

But I loved my little niece. Proving that I could raise her, along with Marcus was a challenge, though. She was getting a bit better every day, though, and after weeks of her being house-bound, I decided to send her off to preschool for a day.

Addison needed friends her own age. Her family could only help her through this for so long, and I wanted her to bond with other kids. I mean, if Marcus and I decided to have our own child, Addison would grow up with them, and I wanted her to at least like the idea of playing with other children. Of course, there were no immediate plans to reproduce. I was still only nineteen years' old, and I wanted my dream wedding first.

Though it wouldn't be the same anymore. My big sister wouldn't be standing there with me, smiling on as I married the love of my life. And Jodie had been helping me plan the wedding.

"We can put the wedding off a while if you want," Marcus suggested one morning over breakfast. "I know you're keen to get married and have the beautiful wedding you've always dreamed of, but if you want we can wait."

"I'm not delaying the wedding simply because my big sister isn't here anymore," I snapped. "I want to get married, Marc. I'm so excited, and I need something to look forward to. It's only four months' away, and by then everything will be better."

"I hope so," he sighed.

"Well, Addy's going to preschool today, for the first time," I announced. "She'll get to bond with other kids one day a week."

"What did your mom say about that?" he asked.

"Well, the 'oh, we can look after her, Phoebe! Don't send her to preschool!' was the response I got," I frowned. "I had to tell her that she needs friends her own age. She can't just simply bond with her family all the time, it isn't right."

"Those are the type of kids who never make friends because they're too used to being alienated," Marcus stated. "I don't want Addy like that at all."

"Neither do I, which is why she's going once a week. If she likes it, I'll send her twice. It's just to get her friends, not because we can't look after her."

"Who said that?"

"Nobody, that I know of. People are nasty though. I don't trust them."

"Is this about that social worker coming by when you were at work, and Addy was all covered in sand because she'd been to the beach?"

"We can't help that, Marc. And the woman never said we were neglectful. It's just... oh, I don't know. People at work think I'm crazy for raising my niece. What they don't realise is no matter what, I would  jump in front of a bus to protect Addison. I would do whatever to keep that beautiful little girl safe, and no matter what, I love her!"

"I don't doubt it, Pheebs."

Tiny little footsteps were heard, and Addison appeared from the hallway. She was dressed in a beautiful red dress, her brown curls all hanging down. In her hand was the matching headband.

"She's a fashion freak like Jodie," Marcus smiled.

"Oh, she's just like her mother," I said, tears welling in my eyes.