ONE SMALL THING - A Dramione Fanfiction: Chapter 3

Disclaimer: Once upon a time J. K. Rowling bequeathed to me.........her butter-beer cork necklace and three rare chocolate-frog cards. I was kinda hoping for the rights to Harry Potter, but hey.....would YOU give it away?

ONE SMALL THING - Chapter 3. *ABSOLUTION*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                _*__*_ *

"Even the largest avalanche is triggered by small things." - Vernor Vinge*

                                                               _*_*_*_ *

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be." ― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower.*

                                                                 _*__*_

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DRACO'S POV

Draco surveyed his reflection in the huge, polished mirror in his room.He hardly recognized the young man in the mirror anymore. His thick hair was longer but still a dull, platinum blond, and his eyes were still a cold grey.

Nothing had changed, and yet everything had.

He did not know what to feel anymore. He was a Slytherin, that much he knew...but Draco didn't feel anything like the powerful, cunning, confident boy he had been in his fifth year. The Dark Mark on his arm was a constant reminder that he had made a terrible mistake, and now he had a whole bloody lifetime to fix it.

Draco had never made mistake before. That is, if you excluded getting the Mudblood mad back in third year. He'd seen by the look in her eyes that he was grinding on her last nerves and he'd found out the hard way that, for a girl, Granger sure knew how to hit. Hard. He'd had to blackmail those thick friends of his into keeping the whole thing quiet, because although Slytherins tended to stick together, they were just as prone to gossip about and prey on weaker members. He supposed it was probably a tough love kind of thing.

Straightening his black robes, he forced himself to stand taller. Today was the day he was going with his mother to meet Andromeda Tonks, and he was determined to look good.

In fact, he made a point to always look good. See, if there is one thing he learned from Snape and Bellatrix's Occlumency lessons, it was that the best way to keep others out of your head was by acting as if though everything that you wanted others to think was true, was. You had to act one way, even if you were feeling and thinking something completely different.

Right now Draco was apprehensive and unsure, but he was damned if he'd let his aunt see that. And his mother - she who knew him best...He had to be strong for her and himself at least if he was going to restore the Malfoy name to glory.

Why the hell everything always fell upon his shoulders was beyond him. When his father failed, Draco was called upon. Now his mother wants to fix things, and once again, Draco gets tagged along. He felt like he was wedged between his parents and disaster: remove the boy from the picture and the whole Malfoy universe would collapse upon itself. Why couldn't they just leave him out of the equation for once...he wasn't a bloody child anymore! He groaned loudly.