Chapter Four

Warning: This chapter contains some mature themes and offensive language. You've been warned.

Chapter Four

Bully

"Yo! Hunter!" a male's voice echoed across the gymnasium.

Startled, my hand slipped as I shot off the basketball, turning it into a complete air ball, but Hunter didn't seem to notice as two figures entered the other side of the gym. Even from this far, I recognized Kurt's short but massive physique. He wore long gym shorts similar to mine with a tight, black tank top, which showed off his large pecks and bodybuilding arms. I was the complete opposite of that ogre with skinny arms, barely any muscle definition, and wore an oversized t-shirt to cover up my insecurities.

I despised gym, or anything sports related. However, when Hunter had asked me to stay after school and practice basketball with him before the upcoming season, well, I'd said no thanks... at first. He'd laughed at my outright refusal but then asked why. When I told him I just wasn't good at sporty things, he'd lit up like a Christmas tree, the damn goof. And, of course, he'd suggested teaching me the basics like in a one-on-one session. I really couldn't pass up the opportunity to have private lessons with him. It was a no brainer and I was easily persuaded. Damn him and his charms.

We'd only been thirty minutes into the lesson when we were rudely interrupted. I recognized the bright blond hair of the figure next to Kurt and the purple and gold colors of the cheerleading outfit. Rachel giggled and bounced across the gym all the way into Hunter's arms. He grunted as he caught her weight, but she immediately slid off of him.

"Yuck! God, Hunter, how long have you been practicing? You are all sweaty!" she said and then tried to wipe off her uniform.

Hunter shrugged and said, "Not that long. I just sweat easily."

Kurt strode over to them and joined the conversation. His hazel eyes focused on me and narrowed dangerously. I instantly knew he was giving me a warning, as if to say I wasn't welcome in their group. Even Rachel turned to glance at me, but it seemed she'd just now realized I was even there.

"Hey, Kurt, were you out running the track?" Hunter asked and pointed at the other man's clothes.

Kurt nodded. "Yeah, trying to train before wrestling starts, but it's September so it's still hot outside," he said and fanned his tank top, which I now noticed the giant sweat stains.

Hunter opened his mouth to respond and probably continue this line of small talk, which the boys seemed fond of, but Rachel was obviously annoyed with it.

"Hey, so there's a party at Dave's tonight. Are you coming?" she asked.

Hunter turned to look at me and I saw a twinge of guilt cross his silver eyes. Our worlds didn't mesh and they never would, but he still longed for us to be friends. I didn't want him to make such a face. I didn't even think I deserved his wonderful friendship. It was a dream come true, but it wasn't like I was delusional or anything. I knew Hunter could toss me away at any given moment.

"Uh, actually, I should get going," I said, feeling awkward. "I have... a lot of homework to catch up on."

It was the only thing I could think of spur of the moment. I didn't have an excuse for leaving, but I didn't want Hunter to feel bad either. Still, his eyebrows creased together skeptically. I tried to meet his gaze and hold it, but I really wasn't a good liar.

Fortunately, Rachel distracted him and started blabbing away about the party. I took my chance and rushed out of the gym. No one called out after me, which was hurtful, and at the same time, I was relieved. It was confusing being friends with him.