Chapter 2

[Joey’s POV]

The playful yelling of my neighbour’s daughter wakes me. It’s completely dark in my room, not even a single ray of sun finds its way through my roller shutter. I yawn and stretch, while looking to my left. 2 PM…

SHIT

I have to be at a tableread for my first movie in half an hour. My feet jump out of my bed, dragging my weak body away from my cozy and warm fortress. A light feeling of dizziness hits me, and I have to grab my door to not fall down. Ten seconds later, my dizziness disappears and I jump in the shower. A shriek escapes my mouth as the icecold water falls on my hot skin. My brains make me hop forward, right into the wall and I hit my face. “Heat up, you whore!” I yell to the shower nozzle. After a minute of shivering and hugging the wall afraid of touching the freezing water, it finally becomes a little hotter. There’s no time for washing my hair, so I just grab my soap. This day wouldn’t have been like this if it weren’t for me dropping the open bottle in the shower. Yellow soap finds its way to the drain, while I cuss every word I’ve ever known.

Trying to be calm should help me, but it doesn’t. Everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. I’ve escaped the shower torture, and now I’m fixing my (hopelessly unkempt) hair.

“What the hell are you doing up there, Joey?” Sawyer yells. “Being hurried!” I yell back. “Do I have to make your eggs? You’ll have more time left that way.” By now, he’s standing behind my bathroom door. “If you did that, I would devote you.” I say, while trying to shave fast, but at the same time carefully. “Sure thing!” I hear his footsteps leaving. Fifteen minutes left, so I change to a higher gear.

Sawyer’s standing in the kitchen with a plate with eggs and wheat bread. I thank him extensively and cram the eggs in my mouth, forcing myself to chew faster. Five minutes l

I hop into Satsuki, all while putting my sunglasses on and drinking a smoothie. The script is clenched under my arm, and when I try to grab it, I almost spill my smoothie. “Dangit

I sigh and put my seatbelt on. As soon as I’m on the freeway, all the cars in front of me slow down. Traffic jam, as if it couldn’t get worse. That’s the worst thing about L.A, the traffic. In Boston, you had to deal with them occasionally, but here, it’s like a fucking habit…

I moved to L.A about four months ago, because the circumstances at home just weren’t very… pleasant. My Dad and Mom had a lot of fights and my sister couldn’t take it anymore, so she moved to Chicago. 2 years later was my turn to move, so I got here. Now I share a house with Sawyer, a high school friend of mine, who already lived here when I came. Luckily his house offered a place to stay.

After a lot of auditioning, I finally saw that there was a casting for a gay movie. Since I’m gay, it wouldn’t be that bad, and I got the part! So now, I’m on my way to the first tableread. I’m kind of nervous, because this is like my first real movie-experience. Let’s see how that goes…