Everlasting

And yet another story.  I know what you're thinking; how come you don't update the others?  I'm sorry, I'm working on it, I just feel like I'm loosing inspiration.  They will come though, don't worry.  I hope you enjoy this one though :) 

As for the story plot, it's a RETELLING of Swan Lake.  I've given it my own twist to make it my own.  So comment, vote and add to your library.  It ill be much appreciated. :)

Yours Truly,

AspiringAuthor

~ Roselyn ~

In a cascade of feathers and giggling little girls, we all landed in the tall grass just as the moon peaked out from behind the milky gray clouds.  I felt my bones slowly shifting, a slow and burning process I had become accustomed to over the years.  My wings lost their feathers and shifted into thin arms with dainty fingers at the ends of pale hands.  Dark brunette curls fell down to the small of my back that was covered with a frail white dress made completely of soft feathers.  The tall grass ticked my toes and blew against my legs from the frigid Winter winds.  A few of the younger girls squealed as they wiggled their toes and combed their fingers through their hair.

I took a seat on the tall rock beside the lake's shore and pulled my knees to my chest.  All the little ones began to run around and roll around in the grass, a couple found their way into the water and splashed around.  I was the eldest of the thirteen at seventeen years old and they thought of me as a second mother to them.  Some of them didn't even know their mother.  Kale, the youngest at four years old had been cursed after crawling off during a picnic in the woods and had been cursed.  The story had brought me to tears when Kale did her best to explain.

"Lovely night," Serene, the second eldest climbed up beside me.  Her pretty rose red lips were pressed thin as if something was bothering her, but she turned it into a smile.

"It is," I replied and nodded in agreement.  A little Tristan, our newest edition to the group screamed in excitement as she as she was pushed into the water by Marina.  I stifled a chuckle.

"It just seems..I don't know.  The girls have barely been anywhere but the lake and the skies.  Maybe we should bring them into the city one night, we could fly the miles in half a day," Serene suggested.  I shrugged and braided long hair to the side.

"It's just not the right time," I said softly.  Serene frowned. "It's the middle of Winter anyways, the sun rises earlier.  Maybe in the Spring," I replied and traced a a heart in the mud with a stick.  Serene folded her arms but didn't protest.

"Roselyn, could we please go out into the town?  There's a village only a few miles from here!" Kayleigh exclaimed as she appeared beside them.  She was one of the most beautiful of all of us with golden curls down to her shoulders and silvery gray eyes that turned blue every so often. 

"Oh please, Roselyn!"  The other girls begged as they gathered around.  Samantha, who was dripping wet began squealing about civilization.  She had been cursed when she was ten, having been given a taste of what it was like to live with the rest of society unlike the rest of us.  She described corsets and stocking that squeezed your stomach and made you ankles itch, but the gowns with colorful bodices and silky skirts.  

I frowned and folded my arms.  The soft feathers brushed up against my wrists and tickled my arms.  "I suppose, but no one will make any contact with any human and leave the group," I relented.  The girls cheered and a few of the younger ones hugged each other in excitement.  Serene squealed and jumped down from the rock in a cloud of white feathers.  She scooped Kale up and twirled her around.  Kale erupted in laughter as the others danced as well.