Roman fever

Roman Feverby Edith Wharton

(1862-1937)

"Roman Fever" is among Edith Wharton's last writings and caps off her noteworthy career. "Roman Fever" was first published in Liberty magazine in 1934, and it was included in Wharton's final collection of short stories, The World Over, in 1936. Several reviewers of this final collection from newspapers and magazines throughout the nation called special attention to "Roman Fever." Since then, however, the story has received little critical attention. The few critics who have written about the story describe it as artistic, complex, and reflective of

Wharton's moral landscape.

"Roman Fever," however, is frequently included in anthologies, both of Wharton's work and of American literature, and this may be a better indicator of its value as worthwhile literature than its critical history is. The story, at first, seems to be little more than a tale about the nostalgic remembrances of two middle-aged women revisiting Rome. Yet the tone of both the outer and inner dialogue shows a deep-felt animosity between the two women. The more outgoing Mrs. Slade is envious of Mrs. Ansley's vivacious daughter and jealous of her past love for Mrs. Slade's husband. The final sentence of the story reveals that Mrs. Slade has a valid reason for her feelings of competition with Mrs. Ansley though she only learns of it after years of ill-feeling. Some readers may find this final sentence to be a trick ending, on par with those of Saki or O. Henry. But a close reading of "Roman Fever" shows that Wharton carefully crafted her story to lead up to that exact moment of truth. Wharton's fine construction indeed makes "Roman Fever" one of her greater works of short fiction. 

Bản dịch chỉ mang tính chất tham khảo (Sưu tầm)

From the table at which they had been lunching two American ladies of ripe but well-cared-for middle age moved across the lofty terrace of the Roman restaurant and, leaning on its parapet, looked first at each other, and then down on the outspread glories of the Palatine and the Forum, with the same expression of vague but benevolent approval.

Từ cái bàn mà mà 2 quý bà ở độ tuổi cuối trung niên thuộc tầng lớp giàu có, họ di chuyển băng ngang qua cái sân thượng cao chót vót của nhà hàng Roman và tựa người vào cái lan can, họ nhìn nhau lần đầu và sau đó nhìn xuống toàn bộ những phế tích Palatine và Forum với cùng một ấn tượng mơ hồ nhưng cũng tán thưởng nhiều về nhau.

As they leaned there a girlish voice echoed up gaily from the stairs leading to the court below. "Well, come along, then," it cried, not to them but to an invisible companion, "and let's leave the young things to their knitting," and a voice as fresh laughed back: "Oh, look here, Babs, not actually knitting—" "Well, I mean figuratively," rejoined the first. "After all, we haven't left our poor parents much else to do.. . ." At that point the turn of the stairs engulfed the dialogue.

Khi họ đứng tựa người vào lan can thì có một giọng nói vui vẻ của một cô gái vọng từ những bậc thang bên dưới dẫn đến sân thượng. “ Nào, vậy thì đi thôi,” cô gái nói to, không phải là nói với họ mà nói với một người bạn đi cùng đang đứng khuất góc đâu đó, “ và để cho 2 quý cô trẻ trung của chúng ta ở lại mà đan lát,” và một giọng nói cũng trẻ trung không kém cười đáp lại: “ồ, nhìn đây Babs, thực sự không phải là đan đâu”. “à, ý tôi là nghĩa bóng kìa,” cô gái đầu tiên đáp lại. “ Dù sao đi nữa thì chúng ta đâu có để cho ba mẹ tội nghiệp của chúng ta nhiều việc gì khác để mà làm đâu…” Tới đây thì khúc quẹo của cầu thang đã nuốt mất mẩu đối thoại của 2 cô gái.