Chapter 24 - Truth

• Dedicated to Aparna Patil

Anyways, this one is dedicated to Aparna for always keeping me grounded and being practical. Love you loads :)  :)

The end is coming soon guys, keep reading, commenting and voting!

-Shruts :)

Chapter 24: TRUTH

I just want to hug you, but you are 480 some miles away, what I wouldn't do for a hug.

KAVYA’S POV:

The wedding was after four days and Aliya had asked me to stay back. We went shopping in all those days. Aliya was leaving for her honeymoon right after the wedding. So, I was helping her pack up all the necessary items. Just the day before her wedding day, we were arranging all her clothes in her umpteen number of suitcases. As I was filling one of her bags, I caught her looking at me. I looked up and raised an eyebrow. “What happened?” I asked. “Nothing,” she said after a minute.

“Come on Alu Bhalu, tell me what is up?”

She laughed at my nick-name for her. Our nick-names were reserved for each other for such moments when we wanted to ‘talk’.

“Well I wouldn’t be your best friend if I didn’t tell you the truth right?”She asked and I nodded.

She continued, “Don’t flip out on me after I say what I say. It’s just my observation or opinion or whatever you would call it.”

“Don’t worry, speak, “I said wanting to know what was going on.

“I have been wanting to say this for a while. But now I thought was the correct time. The day Ahaan,” as soon as she took his name I had to remind myself to take control of myself. Thankfully she didn’t notice and she continued, “Asked you to marry him, agreed, he didn’t do a good job of the asking, but he did. You know he can be blunt. He’s not the kind who prepares speeches. He’s straightforward. He argues a lot. Even when he had professed his love for you he had only said the three words. Nothing before it, nothing after it. You yourself had said how that was enough for that moment. So when he did ask you to marry him, he said only those three words. Agreed they were ‘marry me then’ which were the worst choice of words but he did.”

I had to smile at her for what she had just said.

She continued, “He never gave you any reason. Because those three words were his reason. He wanted to marry you. I am not saying his methods were correct but his intentions were. Even the day he jerked around, I knew he loved you more than he had ever loved anybody else. I could see it in his eyes. Even his bitterness was a silent plea that you would say something. Maybe fight with him. Run behind him. Maybe react in such a way that he could do something. He was begging, Kavya. His silence was your reason. Throughout your relationship I asked you to be careful. And you chose that day?”

She left me speechless. I never thought of it from his point of view. He was leaving too. It must have been equally difficult for him. The thought of him leaving me had frightened me so bad that I couldn’t have thought clearly even if I wanted to. I always thought that I wasn’t enough for him. She was right about him. In the most important moments, he managed to speak the least. That was Ahaan. I realised what a fool I had been.

“A very wrong day, I guess?” I looked at her and replied. She smiled and said nothing. There was something behind that smile but I couldn’t figure out what.

The smile was something like don’t-worry-even-though-you-were-such-a-douche-everything-is-working-out or maybe I was over thinking it. “I’m sorry if you hated me for that, “she said.

“No way,” she actually made me see reason.

“That guy loved me and there’s no denying that. What had to happen, happened right? Life goes on.” I shrugged and replied. Her mom entered at that point and asked me to go over all the arrangements once again and I left immediately. That topic was done for the day. 

As I was making my way out, I saw Siddharth’s car pull up. Sailee and Sid got down. I went and hugged the both of them. Sailee rushed up to see Aliya. She was so hyper.

I smiled at her enthusiasm. “So when are you actually marrying her?” I asked Siddharth. “Only putting the ring on her finger is not enough!” I added.

He laughed and said, “We still haven’t planned the date. We are both happy and comfortable at this stage of our relationship. The engagement was just my plan to get her off the market,” he said winking. I had to laugh and he continued, “Let Aliya be done and then we will think about it.”

“You seem to be favouring her more than me? Don’t forget you were my friend before,” he added with authority.

“She’s so awesome. I get along so well with her. You are lucky to have her, you know. She compliments your serious side by being so much fun.” I replied.

“So I’m not fun?” he asked. The way he asked me that question, it reminded of the unmentionable. He seemed to notice that and changed the topic. He was called in a while and left giving me the same smile Aliya had given in the morning. I had to find out what was happening. That smile was really bothersome. Letting it go at that moment, I left to do the chores I was assigned.