Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Irish Green

I stared at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. My black curls hung loosely around my face, my icy blue eyes staring back into mine. Suddenly, someone cleared their throat and I spun round. Kelsey was leant against a wall smirking at me.

"I know you staged it."

I frowned at her.

"What do you mean?"

Kelsey straightened herself up, and nodded confidently.

"Your fat friend... Murphy, you made her do it. She said so. You think you're so great just because you're a little bit pretty, but" she stabbed me in the chest with a finger. "You're not."

I sighed heavily, walking past her, and out of the bathroom door.

"I know. But I didn't stage it. Your reputation is safe, Kelsey."

She marched after me.

"I don't want people being friends with you, thinking that you're cool when you're not."

"No one will be friends with me, you know it Kelsey."

I slipped on my glasses, and made my way to my locker, but Kelsey stood in front of me and slammed me into a locker, pinning my shoulders back.

"I know it, but they don't." she hissed in my ear. Her grasp was hard on my shoulders. All those years of sport meant she had built up decent muscle in her arms, whilst the only way I stayed slim was cutting on the carbs. Whenever I attempted to wriggle out of her grip she pressed my shoulders harder, making me squirm with pain.

"I think you might be due for another... Hair cut."

My heart skipped a beat.

"I-I'm not eight any more Kelsey."

"I'm not playing games, Fae. You know how much popularity means to me, and I can't have a bitch like you taking that away from me."

Pulling a pair of scissors out of her pocket she smiled wickedly at me. Taking advantage of my free shoulder I pulled myself out of her grip and slid down the locker, trying to escape underneath her legs. Growling, she kicked me in the stomach, knocking my glasses off and making me curl up into a ball on the ground.

"What's going on here?" came a boy's voice. Despite being in pain, I noticed a subtle Irish lilt.

Kelsey jumped, alarm flashing through her face. I glanced upwards, my eyes meeting with the familiar green eyes I had seen in the dining hall, and as soon as they met I looked away, my face reddening.

"Oh, hi Connor..." said Kelsey in a sickly sweet tone, shoving the scissors back in her pocket sheepishly.

"Kelsey, what is going on?"

I observed the boy carefully. On his head were luscious copper curls, somehow perfectly messy. He dressed well as well, clad in the perfect ripped jeans and a tailored but casual shirt. His lips were twisted into a scowl, and his fern green eyes were focused on Kelsey with distaste.

"Weeeeell..." she drawled, glancing nervously at me. Conor's gaze shifted to me.

"What did she do to you?" he demanded.

I dropped my gaze, staring at Kelsey's wedge sandals.

"Nothing." I murmured, and Kelsey smiled in triumph. She had won again, but I knew I was the better person,

"Are you sure?" he asked, this time softer, peering down at me.

I uncurled myself and stood up.