My Last Time Trying ( A Larry One-Shot)

Not sure how this turned out, any opinions?

It’s been a long an tiring day for Harry, he decides as he twirls around in his desk chair. He’s fiddling with his pen and listening to the complaints of his colleagues with half an ear. They’re nearing the end of a long day of work, being met with people who thought they could sing, but more often than not, couldn’t. Being a judge on a singing contest isn’t always fun. Harry is seriously concerned his hearing has been damaged by all the high-pitched and off-key singing he’s had to endure. Luckily he has fun with the other judges, otherwise the days of the first auditions would’ve been dreary. Every now and then a rare gem appeared between all despair who raised all hope, and only made the frowns deeper with the next contestant.

When Harry was offered the position in the judge’s panel, he’d immediately agreed. He’d found his own way to fame through a programme like that one, coming in second but still breaking through afterward. Now he was releasing album after album, touring the world and meeting people all over the world. His life had drastically changed in the six years after entering the competition and he couldn’t wait to see it happen to other people, especially if it was because of what he’d taught him or her. He really hoped he could help people improve their singing.

And Harry’s life had been one big rom-com/chick-flick movie for the past years, so he really shouldn’t have been surprised by this.

Because the last contestant is brought in while Harry’s still spinning his very luxurious desk chair, clicking the end of the pen in his hands in a fast pace like he did when he was still in high school. His colleagues have settled down, scolding Harry for his behaviour. They did any chance they had, because Harry was the youngest. Harry huffs and put his feet down to stop his turning, taking in the last contestant. As he does, the pen in his hands flies through the studio, crashing to the floor awkwardly loud in the silence that’s present. The judges snort and look at him, but Harry only has eyes for the contestant that’s standing in front of them, shoulders hunched and feet shuffling awkwardly.

“Oh, so you know each other?” A judge speaks up, catching everybody’s attention. It takes a while for Harry to reply, because the contestant has looked up and caught Harry’s gaze, staring back just as intensely. “Uh..yeah, yeah we do. Hey Lou, ‘s been a while..” Louis swallows thickly and nods, eyes wide and scared as he looks at Harry. “How do you know each other?” Is asked, Harry vaguely registers a new pen is laid on the desk for him. “We-uh, he... we competed together...” Harry utters. “on the show..” A little over six years ago, and it’s been more than five years since they’d last seen each other, Harry hasn’t kept his promise...

Harry had been the youngest contestant on the show that year and he’d been alone and very nervous. Louis had taken pity on him and took him under his wing, and the two quickly became great friends. Harry admired Louis and his confidence, and he copied his actions like a little brother would. They became nearly inseparable in the few weeks they’d been together, spending almost all their waking moments in each others’ company. They shared secrets they’d never had the guts for to tell anyone, they comforted each other in moments of doubt or insecurities, safe to say they were tight. And then Louis had sung his last note on the competition, not popular enough to stay on, and Harry was alone. They both were devastated, because they simply couldn’t remember how to function without having each other there. Harry had been indescribably nervous about his first performance after Louis had left, only able to comfort over the phone. And then, after weeks of non-stop working, Harry succeeded to win the show, and Louis had hugged him so tight, saying he was proud and that he better stay in touch. “Don’t go all super-famous diva on me, Haz, don’t you dare.”

“What happened?” The question is now directed to Louis, who still looks like he did all those years ago; tiny. But instead of the bright energy he always seemed to emit when he was still one of Harry’s rivals, was now a dull shyness, a twitch in his fingers and a tremble in his voice. “Uh, well...uh, he came in second and became world famous, and I-I... ‘ve been trying to find my back into music ever since..” Harry lets himself fall back into the chair to take in the words Louis had stuttered out. Louis is still where he’d been six years ago.