Chapter Fifteen

I jolt from my sleep to the Waking Bell. I slip out of my bed, and go to my Renewals. My P.O. shadows me. Today is the last day I’ll have her as my P.O. Then I’ll be free to discuss things with Piper again at Free Hour.

Will Piper want to sneak out with me? Does she worry about Dana? Will she understand why I have to take the risk now, after Dana’s been taken? I need to know if Dana’s safe. I need to know what the Unknown is. Canton and Josh will know the answers. All I have to do is sneak out at night, and they’ll help me.

I slip into my Renewals, undress, and go to the shower. The unbearable minutes pass and my Renewal Official begins putting on makeup. Foundation, blush, mascara, I lose my focus in the routine. My attention rips back to reality, when she gently grabs my arm. She turns it to the side, and my eyes land on the crook of my elbow. A small, circular bandage sticks to my skin.

            When did that happen? Who put it there? Why do I need a bandage?

She peels away the bandage, revealing a pinprick of red. She spreads some type of ointment over it, muttering something about ‘unprepared’ and ‘infection’. Then she reapplies a similar bandage.

Why can’t I remember what happened? My heart rate picks up. Am I in trouble? Did I get caught for something I can’t remember? How did it get there?

She stares hard at me for another couple seconds before releasing me to Morning Meal. I get my oatmush with shaking hands, my eyes always falling back to the crook of my elbow and the small, circular bandage. What happened?

I sit down at my seat and begin eating my oatmush. Piper joins me a minute later. As she sits, my eyes wander to her arm.

She has the exact same bandage in the same spot.

We don’t get hurt here. Why would we both             have the same bandage in the same spot? Will the Officials tell us what happened? What if they don’t? Would Josh and Canton know?

Kate sits down and I steal a glance at the inside of her arm.

She has a bandage too.

Wouldn’t I remember what happened to us?

The Bell rings. Everyone moves to the Lecture Hall for our History Teaching. I walk through the doors. Sit. Wait. The normal lecture and move doesn’t begin.  Everyone is seated and quiet. What are we waiting for?

An Official steps up to the stage. “I would now like to present Ellen Windsor.”

Ellen Windsor. Why is she here? The Gratitude Ceremony is over.

Ellen strides to the stage. She smiles, a hideous, leering smile. “I bet you’re all wondering what has brought me here. Well, as you know, you begin your training for Professions when you are a sixteen year. You continue your training until become an eighteen year, where you become an Official.”

This information has been drilled into our heads. She told us this at the Closing Ceremony. Does she think we’ve forgotten already?

“However, we think we are doing such a great job teaching you, that you are ready for Professions at an early age than before.”

We are getting Professions now? But we’re only fifteen years. What will we have to do? Will it be hard? Will I be able to do it?

“You’ll be taking your Profession Exams after Free Hour, starting tonight. You’ll be going to bed about half an hour later than usual, but it’s only temporary. There are multiple exams you have to take. Those exams will evaluate your skills and assign you to the Profession that’s best for you. There are some very special opportunities out there, so be sure to do your best.”