Building Manager Systerm

This application chapter discusses the use of embedded control systems in home and building automation systems, sometimes called domotics and immotics. A short introduction to home automation systems and their components is followed by an analysis of the evolution of embedded systems in domotics.

Introduction

Home automation is a form of building automation, only on a smaller scale and (most of the time) of a lower complexity degree. Both types of systems try to fill in the specific automation requirements of private homes and buildings, hereby increasing the comfort and security of the users and improving on overall energy efficiency. Not all home automation systems posses these characteristics, simpler (cheaper) systems only focus on comfort or security.

Home automation systems come from the need of automating processes in the house of e.g. an immobile elderly person, a handicapped person,... Building automation systems originate from the simple fact that it is easier to control lots of systems remotely from one place instead of running around, controlling each of these systems manually. (HVAC and chilled / hot water systems come to mind)

Now that electronics are becoming more affordable and implemented in people's houses, the urge for electronic comfort is increasing by the day. Hence the growth of the domotics market.

[edit]Tasks

Home and building automation systems can perform a magnitude of tasks. Nowadays there is almost no limit to the tasks such an automation system can perform. As long as the task itself is not impossible to perform with current mechanical/electronic systems, the only limit is the customers budget.

Some applications of home automation systems include but are not limited to:

Control of lighting

Control of HVAC

Control of doors, windows, curtains, gates, …

Access to and control of security systems

Access to and control of multimedia systems, home entertainment systems

Since this document discusses embedded control systems in home and building automation systems, it is not necessary to give an accurate view of the tasks than can be completed by such an automation system. More information can be found here: Home automation and building atuomation.

[edit]Component functions

Home automation systems commonly exist of several components, which are all part of the complete system. Each of these components can perform a function, some components are multifunctional.

Most components functions can be categorized into 3 categories:

Input

Output

Control

Some components can be used for input, output and control. A multimedia terminal for example can be used for:

Input (using keyboard, switches, … )

Output (display, loudspeakers, … )

Control (controlling other components like dimming the lights, closing the curtains, …).

In the early days of home automation, a system could be nothing more than a central switching box with timers and some logic modules, with switches wired throughout the house to be used as input and relays / actuators to be used as output.

At the time of writing this document, there is no simple way of categorizing the components of an automation system into input/output/control, since most components incorporate all three functions. Later on in this document this will be the baseline for an analysis of the evolution of home automation systems.