Apprehension (A Death Note fic)

A/N

Hey it's ThePsychO. This one is about Matt and Mello (EEEEEEK) and some of their time at Wammy's House. So yeah. Mostly this chapter will revolve around a specific event. Noooooot quite sure if this will be a one-shot, but if I get some positive (or even negative, any feedback is good in my book) I'll think about writing more chapters. Cheers and please enjoy!

Yours crazily,

ThePsychO

...

"Matt I swear to God if you don't turn that volume down...!" Mello shouted from the bathroom. The gamer just sighed and rolled his eyes behind the orange tint of his goggles. What, you'll take it away? Good luck with that! Instead, Matt reached towards the remote for the speakers and pressed the volume up button. The musical sound effects of his game filled the room. What's the big deal anyway? Not like he's been doing anything productive all day. Just studying. Matt grinned to himself.

"What's so funny?" The furious blonde stood in the doorway of the bathroom, dressed only in the towel wrapped around his waist. He may only be 14, but he already had a lean build. Still shorter than Matt (and that was the one thing Matt was sure would never change about his friend) but feistier than ever.

"Oh... nothing. Just playing." The gamer turned his full attention to the blonde now, pausing the game.

"Yeah I can see that, asshole. Turn the fucking volume down."

"Is it that time of month already?" Matt grinned wider, almost innocently.

Mello wasn't fooled.

"Why you little... ASS! Get back here!" Matt jumped up from the floor and, abandoning his beloved Xbox, ran for his life down the orphanage hall laughing loudly as he went. Mello, having enough pride not to tear down the hall in nothing but a towel, turned towards the lone game console sitting on the floor. He sighed quietly. 'Mattie should really know by now.' He thought, reaching for a bat.

...

Mello never really smashed the game, he knew Matt cared too much for it to get away with that one unscathed, so instead, he hid it in his closet. Matt knew, he had retrieved it later that day when he finally returned from hiding from the blonde, but he seemed just a little less enthusiastic to play even Mario. As the day progressed and turned into the next one, Matt grew more and more tense until, finally, right after free period the next day (which was held right before lunch) having come back after losing a soccer match to Mello's team that he didn't even want to play, he snapped at the blonde. Nothing huge, just a small slip in his control, annoyance at the lost game, however, it left Mello dumbfounded. Matt had fucking talked back to him. Standing on the field with a slightly open mouth, he silently fumed at his friend, who had continued walking, clenching and unclenching his fists with his strides.

And during lunch, Mello took an explanation. Notice my choice of words there. If the blonde knew one thing about his friend, it was that he would never do something like that without a reason. Getting to the gamer was another issue. He definitely didn't want to be found. After finally cornering the red-head in an empty hallway during the lunch period, he shoved Matt against the wall.

Striped shirt balled in his fist and voice low, Mello asked.

"What is wrong with you? First you snap at me then you try to avoid me?"

"It's nothing, really, I-" His speech was cut off when he was slammed against the wall again. Grimacing, Matt waited until Mello had calmed down enough to reply.

"Bull. Shit." Mello spoke through gritted teeth. "Come back with a better answer. After lunch. Here." Mello released his friend's shirt before stalking down the hall towards the mess hall. There was chocolate cake and the blonde would be damned if he missed it because his friend was being an ass. Matt didn't follow.