I give interstellar diplomacy a shot

The next day, after naps, those of us who want to go shopping clean up and meet in the parking lot. We compare shopping lists, and we divide into groups based on how similar they are. My group consists of Steve, Natasha, Wanda and me. Steve would probably be more comfortable with the other guys, but it was determined that Sigurd would draw more attention to us, defeating the low-key desired aspect, and Nick wants me to have a physical deterrent with me in public, just in case the bad guys show up when I'm trying on blouses. I mean, granted, there are some bad people looking for me, but Natasha is pretty lethal and Wanda is a whole defense network in her own right, but apparently a guy who can punch a bunch of people out is what I need, so we get the bodyguard on the theory that Steve, without his suit, isn't as recognizable as Thor. Thor gets to stay home and play with Sigurd.

I think Steve feels that Thor is skiving off on the workload, but he's a real leader and takes one for the team without complaint.

I pick up a couple of beautiful rugs, and a larger desk, a nicer bookcase.  The suite is larger than my old trailer, and it's nice to have the freedom to pace as I think, but I'm also messy and the larger desk is a real luxury. The other ladies pick up a few things each as well, then we go to a sporting goods store where Steve gets a few punching bags. The beams in his suite were reinforced to allow a permanent suspension point; he likes to punch the bag when he's working out thorny problems.

Then we go to a few department stores for clothing and shoe shopping; Steve takes a seat at the edge of the clothing section, flees into the housewares section when we get to the lingerie section, and cautiously rejoins the party in shoes, where he gets a few pairs for himself. Now that I'm actively more social than I've been since the accident, I've been improving my wardrobe. Yoga pants and geek t-shirts are great for work, but it shows some respect for my companions if I don't wear them 24/7. And then there's Odin's visit.  Out of respect for Thor, who is pretty tense about this, and a desire to show Odin that his son isn't slumming, we've all pretty much decided to take special care with our appearances, hence the high-end shopping. Then we meet up with the other boys except for Tony and Thor, checking the alterations on their new suits. We ladies sit on the couch and comment as the boys come out to look in the mirrors and have the tailor evaluate the fit. They're a good-looking bunch; Sam is the most edgy, Jim the most conservative. They found Steve some retro suits, subtly updated, and Peter's suits, discreetly padded in the shoulders, helps to make him look more mature and less gangly. We select some ties to replace ones that are terminally boring, some coordinating pocket squares.  After that, we get lunch at a restaurant, then hit Target and an office supply store on the way home; all of us have everyday things we need to get.

When we get back home, Thor and Tony are shooting pool and are glad to hear that we'll be a sharp-looking crew for the visit. We dump our stuff in our rooms and hang out for awhile, just relaxing a little in the calm before the storm. Then Nick shows up with a proposed schedule for the next couple days; fortunately, Odin isn't staying long. 

The next morning, I dress in a tasteful navy suit, the skirt straight and just past the knee, the jacket fitted, with welt pockets and a shaped neckline. The fabric is a lovely silk-wool blend, and I wear fine leather pumps with a respectable heel and the pearl earrings and strand that my grandparents had given me when I graduated from high school. I put my hair up in a twist and admired the nice contrast between the white and my dark suit. Subtle makeup, the merest hint of perfume, a handkerchief in my pocket, and I was ready to go. I'd made Sigurd a metal collar rather than his everyday nylon collar; it was a smooth sheet of metal, slightly curving, that sat against his chest at the base of his neck. I'd tried my hand at a little repousse and done a knotwork design at the front, hiding the electronic key to the locks in the housing block on the reverse side. He looked very distinguished.