Chapter 8

Camden twitched her nose as something soft tickled it. She groaned incoherently and rolled into Eric's chest. She buried her face into the crook of his neck and froze. That chest definitely was not Eric's, and that amazing fragrance wasn't his either. A smile slowly spread across Camden's face when she realized who had her wrapped in his arms.

Shane chuckled when he saw the smile on Camden's lips. They had dozed for thirty minutes at most, but the experience was enough to convince him that he wanted to wake up this way every morning for the rest of his life.

"We need to talk." Camden shivered as Shane nuzzled her neck, his lips tickling her skin as he spoke.

"About what?" She yawned as she stretched her arms.

"About us." Shane grinned like a schoolboy, before his expression became more serious. "We have a lot to discus."

"D-d-discuss?" Camden stuttered. There was so much she couldn't tell Shane. She panicked, thinking he would press her for more information than she was willing to give.

"Yeah," he murmured as he gently kissed her brow. "We need to clear up some things about the last few years." He paused and gazed into her eyes. "Starting with your graduation party."

Camden jerked as if she had been slapped. She immediately began shaking her head and shoving Shane away. She did not want to think about the day he broke her heart. It was one of the worst days of her life. When she continued her struggle to move away from him, Shane gripped her wrists and moved his forehead flush to hers.

"I lied, Camden. I've never in my life seen you as a sister."

The words stilled her immediately, and tears filled her eyes. "What?" Camden whispered. The words seemed to rush out Shane's mouth, like he needed to explain everything in one breath.

"Camden, I felt the same way you did. Always, I wanted you so much, and when I came home that week, I planned the most romantic night I could imagine. After your party, I was going to take you to Rice Lake. I had a picnic planned, and I'd even bought a promise ring."

Camden's gasp halted Shane's monologue. "What?!" she whispered again, this time with hints of horror in her tone. Shane's thumb wiped a stray tear from her cheek, his expression dejected.

"I received my orders about two hours before your party." Shane's tone was full of sadness.

"Your orders?" she squeaked.

"I was leaving in two weeks to go back to Afghanistan. I couldn't do that to you." His voice was pleading, begging for understanding.

"Do what to me?" Her watery gaze locked onto his.

"I couldn't ask you to wait for me." Shane's eyes became unfocused as he gazed into the distance, lost in an old memory. "The stuff I saw over there? It was awful, and there was no guarantee that I would come back alive. I couldn't do that to you. You deserved better than that."

A mighty, rushing rage flooded Camden as she, with renewed strength, shoved an unsuspecting Shane off her and backed into the corner of the tent. "I DESERVED A CHOICE!!!" she bellowed. Shane's shocked expression transformed quickly into shame, and he raised his hands in surrender.

"You broke me, Shane Hunt! You ruined everything good in my life on that night."

Shane felt his heart crack at her pronouncement. He knew tears were now streaming down his cheeks. Camden continued her tirade.

"I waited for you," she declared. "I had saved myself for you. I thought you were my one and only, and you shattered that when you rejected me." Camden's words were barely a whisper by the time she finished.