16: Loud Music & Equally Loud Heartbeats

The fact that March break seemed to have gone in flash for me was actually quite surprising considering the fact that most of my March breaks consisted of watching marathons of my favourite sitcoms, working on a random piece of painting, and babysitting my little brother and sister.

This March break, however, was different. Not only was I going out of the house more with my friends, but I felt like I was doing something productive with my time whenever I worked on the mural with Nolan since I was learning different techniques from him each and every day. Besides, it felt good to see a smile on Lorenzo's face whenever he stopped by to see the progress of the mural since it was an indication that my lack of experience with graffiti wasn't screwing up the mural.

"The reflection of the city lights on the water is gorgeous, Isabella," Lorenzo said from behind me.

I was on my knees when I looked over my shoulder and smiled at the elderly man. "Thank you!" I chirped.

Lorenzo smiled back. "So where's Nolan? He's usually out here for hours..."

"I made him go on a coffee run," I answered as I continued moving the spray-can across the brick wall.

Lorenzo chuckled. "You made him, eh?" He chuckled again.

Confused, I laid the spray-can on the concrete ground and stood up to face Lorenzo. I then shrugged, still puzzled as to why he would find what I said amusing.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked.

Lorenzo folded his hands behind his back and laughed again. "Oh, I just find you two awfully cute together," he stated.

I blushed. "Cute?"

"Yes," Lorenzo said, nodding. "You and Nolan make a lovely couple--"

"Oh!" I cried out. "No, no! We're not a couple. Well, um, not yet at least. Oh, wait. What the hell am i saying? We're just friends who just so happen to like each other, but we're not a couple. I actually don't know what exactly we are, actually. I mean, I'm not too familiar with this crazy thing called love, you know?" I felt my face heating up as I looked at Lorenzo who continued to hold an amused grin on his face and I ended up slapping my forehead.

Why do I just ramble on about nonsense? 

Lorenzo laughed  as he walked towards to me to put a hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry, my dear," he said. "You have all the time in the world to understand what love really is. Just don't force it to happen. It should happen naturally."

I snorted. "You make it sound so easy," I complained. "Falling in love is awkward."

"What's awkard?"

My head immediately snapped upwards and I found Nolan holding a two cups of Tim Horton's in his hands behind Lorenzo. He was wearing a red beanie over his mess of a hair but even in his tired state, he looked good. 

I didn't realize I was in a daze before Lorenzo walked up to Nolan and patted his shoulder. He then said something to Nolan in a low voice, and Nolan just looked down onto him with a small smile and nodded. I found myself straining to my ears to overhear the conversation but before i knew it, Lorenzo gave Nolan one last pat, looked over to me to give me a nod, and the old man made his way down the alleyway.

"What was he saying to you?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest. 

Nolan shrugged. "I don't know," he said, handing me my cup of coffee.