Chapter 2: That's My Junk You're Feeling Up

"Thanks for answering again," I say to Alpha Bren as I reach for the door.

It's difficult for me to accept the fact that my childhood friend is just gone. I'm always expecting a different answer from Brendan, but it's always the same.

As I open the door, I see Marcus and Shea standing nearby, looking suspicious as they stare up at a tree and discuss the intricate details of a pigeon.

It's a squirrel.

"See how the pigeon operates in its natural habitat, babe," Marcus says to Shea, using a 'mansplaining' voice on her.

When Marcus starts speaking in a high tone, I know that he's nervous.

I walk up to them and observe the apparent pigeon.

"Oh, hey there! We totally did not see you," Marcus greets me, resorting to his high-pitch.

"You two were listening in on us the whole time, right?" I ask them, already aware of the answer.

"Yup!" Marcus instantly confesses.

Shea elbows him in the stomach.

"Babe, you know I hate lying," he complains. "My hands were getting all clammy and sweaty and sh*t," he defends himself.

I grin and decide to call it a day. I head back to the house, back to where I know Dominic will be raiding my kitchen -- he tends to think that he lives with me, these days.

As I enter the kitchen, the first thing I see are sweet packets scattered across the checkered tiles. "Dominic!" I yell out in irritation. I'm sick of cleaning up after him.

"Hailey!" he yells back at me from somewhere in the house.

I storm into one of the rooms and find him watching TV. He has his feet propped up on the coffee table as if this is his house.

I glance at the television to see that he's watching a documentary on wolves. I snort in disbelief. "Since when do you watch Animal Planet?"

"Since I'm an animal," he answers lazily. "Wolves are magnificent creatures. Don't you think?" He grins up at me, testing my patience.

I huff and fold my arms over my chest. "Cut the crap, Dom."

He blinks at me innocently when I stand in front of the TV to block his view. "I don't know what you're talking about. I always watch Animal Planet," he lies.

"Sure," I humor him and begin searching for the remote. "Where is it, Dom? Are you sitting on it?" I ask as I search between his legs.

He jolts upright and pushes me aside. "Hey, watch it! That's my junk you're feeling up!" he grumbles before giving into my persistence and handing me the remote of the Xbox.

I smile in victory and change the channel over to see what it is that he's really been doing while I've been gone. "I knew it!" I exclaim as I notice the cars beginning to appear on the screen. "You've been playing in our saved Need For Speed: Most Wanted game without me when you promised we'd complete it together!"

"I can't hold your hand for everything," is his response.

I pout and take a seat next to him, already forgetting about the mess that he's created in the kitchen.

"Don't look at me like that," he orders as I continue pouting at him. "Fine! I won't save my progress. Now can you stop?!"

"Thank you, Dom."