Chapter one: Autumn Leaves

A Lesson for Romantics

Chapter one: Autumn Leaves

By: Theodore B. Columbus

You once asked me how far I'll go,

how long I'll last,

and whether I've been in love in the past

well I'll tell you so if you really want to know.

The distance matters little to me

for girl, you will soon see

the seas I will sail

and the distance of my trails

and yes of course I've been in love before

this time it is something more

so trust me that way you will see

how strong my love for you can be.

It is yet another crisp autumn evening, but the halls are still buzzing with students. The year has just started and already the cliques are established. With this in mind Bryan finds himself politely excusing his way through the group of Jocks that has situated them selves in front of his locker. Though St. Mark's is far from the Public school Bryan came from, old habits of being cautious die hard. After all this is not just a new school, for this is also a new town for him.

However what really doesn't make sense to Bryan is the way the students go about in the school. Yes, like in other schools St. Mark's has cliques or groups. However that is as far as how this school is the same from other institutions, for there are only five groups in the school. That and the fact that each group has an equal amount of influence amongst everyone. It is as if there is a check and balance in the spheres of influences and everybody has to belong to a group.

“You must be one of the freshmen aren’t you” The muscularly built one said in an unusually friendly tone. However Bryan just ignored him not knowing that one of them where talking to him.

“ hey freshman we're talking to ya.” the other one said

Bryan then looked up and coldly responded “oh, I'm sorry and excuse me I'm not a freshman. I'm actually a sophomore just moved in to town from Pennsylvania..”

“ oh cool, the names Jacob, the tall one is Greg, and this guy is Phil. Don't let the letterman jacket fool you dude. We're more approachable than you think ” Jacob said this time in a less sarcastic tone.

“Yeah, ok ,thanks, sorry, but now's not a good time I gotta go some where.” Bryan said as he hastily organized and gathered his stuff.

After making his way through the sea of students and the small traffic pile up outside made by the higher years with their cars, Bryan, finally made it outside of the campus. The walk back to his new home, though long as it is, is something Bryan looks forward to everyday. Not for the fact that he's been dismissed but for the fact that on long walks like this he can reminisce at the times he spent with

her. Her raven hair blowing in the wind, her blue eyes glistening in the sun, and her warm hands holding his. It is the long cold walks like this where he likes to read the first letter she sent him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear, Bryan November 15, 1990

Its been approximately six months since our graduation from 8th grade. How is

your freshman year in high school? I'm doing ok here and I'm thinking of joining

the dance club or something. Hey remember that hoodie you left at my house last time

you where over? Well I finally found it and I'm sure you won't mind if I use it. Well then again I always take it from you on the walks back home. Take care Bryan keep in touch...

<3

P.S. I miss you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Whoa wo hey watch out!” with those words and the sound of a bicycle crashing Bryan snapped back to reality. Just in time might one add to see a girl, Lucy, being flung towards him from her bike. Though she was of a small frame and with pale complexion she is known to be sharp tongued. Her fiery personality reflects perfectly with the color of her hair. She was after all the type of girl who was not afraid of anything nor anyone.

“ Hey there are you blind. You should really watch where you are going.” she said as she rolls off Bryan's chest.

“ Speak for your self woman you're the one that crashed into me!” Bryan responded.

As he was getting up he noticed her clutching her ankle. Bryan, being who he is immediately took a knee next to her and offered her a hand. However Lucy, quickly refused and forced her self up only to fall down. Out of stubborness and embarasment she tries again only to fall down, but this time Bryan catches her. Then ever so gently placed her down on the ground before she could snap a comment back at him.

“ Will you let me help you? I may not be a doctor but I know a sprained ankle when I see one.” Bryan said in a comforting tone.

Lucy, looked down at her ankle then thought for a moment she then replied with a quick “fine”

While Bryan was inspecting her ankle they made small talk. First they shared their names and where they came from, then they moved on as to what just happened. He basically answered all her questions and asked anything he felt comfortable to know. They basically talked about anything to keep the pain of her ankle and the steady crawling chill at bay. Then while applying a splint to keep her ankles steady she suddenly opened up.

“ No guy has ever done this before for me...” Lucy said while looking dead strait into Bryan's dark brown eyes only to see her self that he to is looking back.

“oh- uhmm sorry didn't mean to stare... anyways here is the plan. Since my house is closer why don't we stop over there first that way you can use my phone to call your parents mmm?

Lucy's face went pale at the thought of going over to a stranger's house but she knew that he means well. Bryan after all showed something she hasn't seen in other guys yet. What that something was she still does not know but her guts however says that she can trust him. After all she doesn't really have another choice with her current situation.