Chapter 4

Classes had ended—those horrid classes had ended, and do to the changes that had happened in the school, no one liked him anymore, no one wanted to be around him anymore—not even Pansy.

         Draco leaned against the walls of an abandoned classroom and closed his eyes for a brief moment.

         Everything had changed. From the moment his mother and father rampaged along the campgrounds of the Quiddtich World Cup. The Dark Lord was back—no doubt dammit he was, and showed no sign of backing down—he never would. Though, this didn’t seem to bother at the time, personally he didn’t see anything wrong with the Dark Lord taking control of the Wizarding World again—he wanted to get rid of the entire muggle population just as much he did. However, that all changed from the moment the Dark Mark had been tattooed on his left forearm.

         Ever since then things in Draco’s eyes had changed perspective. Ever since he became a Death Eater he took another look at life, his family, and friends. He was considered cruel, vile, mean, a heartless man for his actions.

But they didn’t know him; they don’t know anything about him.

         When Draco began to spend more and more time on that Cabinet, the more he realized that there was no way out. He hated his life; he hated his parents for caving in so easily and taking in the easy way out by becoming Death Eaters. His ‘friends’ showed no support towards him—then a again, why would they?

         The door to the Classroom opened and in walked Pansy Parkinson still dressed in her uniform. Her tie was hung loosely around her neck; the first few buttons of the shirt were undone, and her Slytherin robes hung from her shoulders.

         “Draco? You’ve been here this whole time?” She asked as she walked into the classroom. He cleared his throat and nodded and watched as she pulled herself up on a desk and crossed her legs.

         “Err—yes.” She nodded.

         “You weren’t at dinner… are, are you hungry?” She asked again. He shook his head and closed his eyes briefly.

         “No, I’m good thanks.” He said. She didn’t reply but tilted her head to the side, and she left the classroom leaving Draco alone again.

         He watched as she left, closing the door behind her. He eyed his left arm carefully and slowly un-cuffed the button of his sleeves, he pulled it back and gazed upon the black tattoo that covered his pale skin. He traced his finger over the black skull and snake that emerged from its mouth and felt a sting in his eyes. The biggest mistake of his life was now a permanent reminder of what he did, he couldn’t get rid of it, a memory charm wouldn’t work—all he had to do was look at the Dark Mark and everything would come back to him like one fear-full flash.

         “Draco? Draco?” Draco look up from his letter that he recived from Bliase and over at his mother. He noted her horror in her face and looked at her curiously.

         “Mother, are you alright?” he asked. She didn’t reply, she walked into his room and sat on his bed and began to fiddle with her fingers. Draco folded his letter and placed it on his desk, he looked towards his mother with full attention.

         “Draco—you know how the Dark Lord is back,” he rolled his eyes and nodded, “I know that things have been a lot tougher ever since your father left,” she paused for a second and closed her eyes trying to hold back her tears, “But—But th—the Dark Lord ha—has asked us f—f—for a favor.” Draco watched a few tears pour from her eyes.

         “Mother what are trying to say?” he asked. She opened her eyes once again, they were now red as ever.

         “Draco the Dark Lord has asked you to become a Death Eater.” The words cam out in hardly a whisper, but Draco was still able to hear… he wish he hadn’t.

         He opened his eyes and sighed heavily. He had no idea what he was getting into. He had no idea that things would turn out like this—but they did. He rubbed his forehead and heard the door to the classroom creak open again, it wasn’t Pansy this time, it was Reese.

         She walked into the classroom that she thought was empty and walked into the back left corner. She didn’t see Draco, she didn’t hear his, and she didn’t even feel his presence. Draco narrowed his eyes and eyes her watching as she slipped her hand out of her sleeve and rubbed it.

         “Err—maybe I should go…” he said after a while of silence. It was then that Reese turned her direction towards the other blond that sat in the opposite side of the room. She didn’t reply immediately, but watched as he left.

         “Malfoy?” She asked and watched as he turned around from the door way and looked at her red rimmed eyes, “Why weren’t you at classes? I mean after Defense, I didn’t see you?” He eyed her attentively.

         “What’s it matter to you? Why do you care?” he snapped which caught Reese off guard, as much as they didn’t really know each other, he had never actually snapped at her before… well….

         Over the course of a few days Reese was able to note a different behavior towards Slytherin’s Draco Malfoy—and not just the usual mishaps where he didn’t show up for classes and was caught wandering the halls way late at night. He was a lot jittery now and was caught off guard easily.

         Reese sat in the courtyard with Blaise, Vincent, Gregory, Draco, Daphne, and Pansy. She watched Draco with her eyes open and noted that every few seconds he would check the time on his watch, or press his right hand over his left forearm. His eyes looked as hollow as ever and looked as if he noted not that he was even here at Hogwarts.

         Draco left to go back inside and Reese left to go follow a few minutes later. She was able to see him disappear into a vacant corridor—a corridor where not many students would go, the reason? Unknown, but it seemed awfully suspicious towards her.

         “Hey Malfoy?” she called as she ran to catch up with his pace, however Draco kept speeding up. “Malfoy! Where are you going?” he stopped in his walk and turned around to face her.

         “Nowhere! Why the bloody hell would you ever care? I mean, it’s not like you’re my personal stalker or anything?” Reese narrowed her eyes and took a step back.

         “No… Just that your keeping secrets—that’s all.” She said.

         “Why does this matter?” he snapped. Reese shrugged.

         “Cause secrets don’t keep friends.” It was then she felt herself being choked.

         Draco’s pale hands were now placed just barely below Reese’s neck. He jabbed his nails into her skin without even knowing as he pushed her back against the wall.

         “Listen. I don’t care, I don’t need friends—I don’t want friends. I have better people that I get acquainted with. Now. Leave—Me—Alone.” He yelled harshly as he let go of pushing her head against the cold stonewall.

         Reese found herself rubbing the bottom of her neck and the top of her chest, where Draco had jabbed his nails into a few months ago. She pulled the color of her shirt back and was able to see slight scratches that came from the hands of Draco Malfoy.

         “He’s lost…” she whispered to herself.