CHAPTER 47 - DEATH WILL SET YOU FREE

After the aquarium, Xerza had cloaked them in shadow and snuck Maximilian into her chambers. They had done in the bed more of the things they had started in the sand. Gods, I've missed him.

She opened her eyes just a little. The latest Aaron clone was still in her bedroom, now rummaging through her personal stuff like the insolent cur that he was. She opened her eyes all the way. The Shadow will come for all of us soon enough, but right now, life isn't so bad.

"Is that you?" he said and turned over a printout to let her see.

It was her, all right. On Protasia, all those years ago. Or rather, that damned painting of her.

"In the painting, I mean. Yeah, it's you. You're a fucking amazon, only you look like you're going to a ball." He looked at her. "Were you? An amazon? Did you look like that inside the armor? Damn, you're vain, woman!"

"Give me that," she said, slid out of bed, and tried to grab the image, but he snatched it away. "The real Aaron would know," she tried. "Who are you, and what did you do to him?"

"You know, let's stick with Maxi or Maximilian. I may have been that Aaron guy once, but not anymore." Maxi put the image back into the pile he'd dug out of her drawer. "Don't remember everything yet. How long does it usually take?"

"Varies," she told him. "Yes, I was an amazon. But no, I didn't look like that. That's propaganda. I had short hair and had never used makeup in my entire life."

"Who is this guy," Maxi said and held up a private photo of Viscount Verrigan.

"A mistake," she told him flatly. "One of many, but without doubt the worst." She would have thrown the picture away, but every time she meant to, she was reminded of her mistake. Some things, however painful, must not be forgotten. So Xerza kept the damn thing.

"Your ex then," Maxi concluded. "Noble? Looks like a scion to me. Same look Marcus has. Hard to fake that stuck-up mien. If he was so bad, why keep the pic?"

"There was nothing noble about him. And I keep it so I may never forget."

"That bad, eh? What's his name?"

"It was Verrigan. Viscount Verrigan. But better known to the Order as Soul-taker Verrigan."

"Shit," Maxi said, his look a mixture of shock and awe. "I remember what they said about that guy." Then he started laughing. He laughed so hard he lost his balance and fell off the desk. Xerza let him laugh. It took a while for him to stop and get back up.

"So you were an amazon. A virgin amazon?" Xerza nodded. "And you slept with one of the most infamous villains in living memory?" Maxi went down on one knee. "Xerza, my love. There are none like you in all of creation. Nothing comes even close. I've no ring for you, being a poor man, but my love is true. I would marry you if you would have me."

"Oh, you stupid man. I'm not marrying you. You may, however, ravish me on this desk, right this moment."

Maxi pretended to think it over, shrugged, and said: "I guess I'll settle for a good shag. Marriage is overrated anyway." He grabbed her hand and pushed her against the desk.

She pretended to struggle a little, and then let him have his way with her.

------

Xerza was standing in her usual spot by the false-glass windows, looking out at the projection of the nighttime cityscape. Her appearance was the usual one: high-heeled boots, tight-fitting pants, a top that clung to her curves, corset, hair up high, lips, and nails painted. Her demeanor, however, wasn't the calculated calm she usually affected. She was frowning as if something she saw outside both intrigued and confounded her.