Chapter 9

Crown Princess Cynthia Peony, Heir to the throne of the Eastern Commonwealth and daughter of Emperor Kaito and former Lunar Queen Empress Selene Channary Jannali Blackburn, stood before the mirror in her room in an exquisite one-shoulder dress fit for an empress made of fine gold silk and a full skirt. Gold gloves traveled all the way up to her elbows, and stitched in them were tiny stars and moons in silvery threads. She didn't waver despite her tall heels, and her hair had been done by her mother's most trusted friend and android Iko to perfectly frame her tiara. It was that tiara that touched her heart the most, as when she turned tiny rubies encrusted in the crown from the same quarry as her mother's wedding ring's glinted in the light as a reminder of her family and all that it meant to her.
"Oh Thia," sighed Iko dreamily. "You are truly breathtaking. Maybe even the most beautiful princess I've ever seen,"
The princess blushed. "Iko that's not true. Mrs. Clay used to be a princess, and she is the most beautiful person anyone has ever seen,"
"Hmmm, you might be right," said the android. Cynthia could almost see her processor whirring to life and processing her picture in comparison to the former princess Winter's. "But even if you are, you are definitely the most beautiful Earthen princess I've ever met."
"I don't think that's even a question," said a voice from the door. Cynthia spun in her skirts to see her father standing at the door. "Cynthia you look like an empress. You're going to put your mother out of the job,"
"Which I would be perfectly happy with," came another voice. Moments later Empress Selene, Cinder, or Mom as Cynthia liked to call her appeared next to him. "I've given up a throne before, and I won't mind doing it again." She looked at Cynthia's worried face and grinned at her. "Don't worry Thia, there will be no abdications for you today. You have nothing to worry about. Just enjoy your party."
"Happy birthday sweetheart," the emporer added. Cynthia's smile returned and she rushed to hug her parents.
"Thanks Daddy. Thanks Mom. Don't worry no one could ever outshine you. Your metal arm catches all the right light," Cynthia joked.
Cinder laughed. "Who knew my arm would become such a fashion staple? All the court officials are wearing silver jackets or metallic sleeves these days."
The family burst into another round of laughter, and it attracted attention from the room across the hall.
"Hey, what are you all laughing about without me," came the joking voice of Cynthia's younger brother Rikan. He came out his room with his shirt untucked and tie hanging loose around his neck. His shaggy dark hair was in mop on his head as if he had just gotten out of bed.
"Rikan you're only half dressed!" Cynthia exclaimed. The prince glanced down at his shirt and tie.
"Oh, whoops." He said, quickly tucking in his shirt and straightening up his tie. Iko rushed over with a comb and tried to tame the prince's hair as best she could.
Five minutes later the family stood just out of view of the guests in the ballroom below at the top of the grand staircase. Iko was taking one last look at Rikan's outfit. His hair and tie were mostly straightened, and his shirt, or at least what Cynthia could see of it, was tucked in. The emperor and crown princess gave him matching approving nods before the court announcer called out the prince's name.
"His Royal Highness Prince Rikan of the Eastern Commonwealth!"
The words boomed through the ballroom. The guests turned to the stairs and applauded as Rikan emerged from the shadows and waved before descending the stairs into the party. Cynthia swore she could hear several girls sigh and she rolled her eyes. He was only sixteen but all the portscreens called him the Commonwealth's biggest teen heartthrob.
Iko sighed. "He's almost worse than you Cinder. At least he's sure to clean off any grease streaks before he puts on his suits."
Cynthia's parents laughed and smiled at each other as if harboring some inside joke. This seemed to be a common theme for them. She knew they still hadn't told her everything about the infamous Lunar war, and she also knew that they never would.
"I'll meet you guys downstairs," said Iko before rushing off to the party.
The announcer called Cynthia's parents, and they walked down the staircase together arm in arm smiling at the crowds. Even now Cynthia could see her mother's uneasiness at the crowds, but she handled herself so well that it was impossible to tell unless you had spent every day with her.
Cynthia took a moment to compose herself while she waited. There was a lot riding on this party despite her parent's insistence that she should relax and enjoy herself. At 18 she was now eligible to claim the Commonwealth throne. Her father had ascended at her age, but that was due to unfortunate circumstances completely unrelated to his age. Her mother had ascended her Lunar throne at an even younger age. She knew the press expected a lot from her. They wanted to see her as strong but gentle, just but kind, wise but decisive. She had to be that for them and for her people. She wanted them to know that one day, but not any time soon, she would be a great empress.
"Ladies and Gentlemen," called the announcer, "Please join me in welcoming Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Cynthia Peony of the Eastern Commonwealth on the occasion of her eighteenth birthday."
The guests below in the ballroom burst in to applause. Cynthia took a deep breath, spread out her dress to its full glory, and stepped out to the staircase. She worked a smile onto her face and found it was perfectly natural. She nodded graciously to her guests and did her best to glide down the stairs like a princess should. When she hit the floor the rest of the assembly gave her a bow or a curtsy.
All except one.
"Hello again princess. Long time, no see."

A/N: Sorry everybody for this very belated chapter! It took me longer than I wanted to figure out how much I wanted to reveal in this chapter. I hope you like where I'm taking this story!

Thanks as always for reading!
-Theresamm