chapter 7

I haven’t finished this chapter yet. Got to post the part two later. For now, here’s chapter 7 people. Hope you’ll like it.

Chapter VII

There was nothing in this world, living or alive that could make me feel better than to sleep off my exhausted and pained body to rest. But the moment I turned to get a better position, cold, wet odorless liquid splashed on me un-warningly which caused me to jump out of bed in a ready-to-battle mode- with a handful of profanities as I scanned the room for attackers. Only seeing one person holding up an empty bucket suspended in the air, no doubt containing the water that was all soaked on me.

“Damn it Peter! What the hell were you thinking?!” I muttered angrily looking for any means to dry myself off.

Only then I realized where I was. I studied the surrounding for a moment and cannot make out anything. It’s all but an empty room with only one bed without any soft spot, no wonder I never got any good sleep. Then my eyes travelled to Peter, the empty bucket tossed on the floor now.

“There’s no time. We have to leave, they’re all looking for you.” he said making a motion to leave.

“Wait- what are you saying? I don’t—” I tried to protest but my words suspended on my throat as we heard scurrying above the rusted roof of the room.

“Damn! They’ve found us! Take this!” he said tossing me a caliber 45 pistol.

I caught it with shaking hands. What the hell is that? I wanted to ask but silenced myself. I have a handful of questions in my head but thought this isn’t the perfect place and unquestioningly not the perfect time for such. Whatever it is that Peter meant surely are bad elements and I known Peter better than to doubt him especially now.

We went out of the room as quietly as we can ready-ing ourselves for anything unusual. Peter’s taking the lead and I watched our backs. It was a small house, I scanned everywhere for any signs of other humans but I saw none. After another rustle on the roof, everything went eerily silent as if anything above us has thought better to stay quiet and wait for any movement. My heart was beating fast inside my chest I’m almost scared I’m going to have a heart attack.

Peter and I kept moving silently towards what I thought of an exit. The passage is narrowed that it’s quite hard to move.

I felt a slight pinch on my shoulder, ignoring it as a muscle cramp, I continued following Peter. But when we were about to move further, I felt warm liquid flowing out of my shoulder. When I looked at it, I realized it was bleeding.

Peter glanced back at me when I whimpered. “What’s wrong?”

I bit my lower lip and pointed at my bleeding shoulders. He cursed under his breath and turned completely back to me. “We can’t stay here for long. They’ll find away to get to us. But we can’t continue our trek out of this building. They’ll follow us still. They can smell the stink of the blood.”

I shivered at the mention of blood. It made sense to me. Damn! It can’t be that bloodsuckers, right? No! It can’t be them. Why the hell would they follow us? Oh right, blood. They wanted my blood. They crave for blood. “W-what do we do?”

“We’ll think of another way. Come on.” He said then continued running. “We’re almost there. Run!” he said and I followed.

We reached the end of the hall and we came to a stop. Peter pulled something from the floor and there came a stair going down. He entered and I followed once again.

When we finally reached the bottom stair, another hallway formed. Just like the previous one, it was long, dark and stinks like hell. The only difference is that there are at least three destinations; one going straight ahead, the other are going to the left and the right. It was an unending journey and the wound in my shoulder hurts like hell. I am losing too much blood and I am getting weaker and weaker as the walk progresses.

“We are almost there Sam. Just hold on.” Peter said turning his head back at me. I bit my tongue as another batch of pain surges.

“Damnit! Is there no other shortcut around here?!” I demanded when I realized the hall seemed too long. We chose to walk the left path since Peter seemed knowledgeable about the place.

“No need. We’re here.” And he opened yet, another door…

“Seriously Peter?!” I exclaimed in disbelief. When he opened the door, we were greeted with a stinky odor. It was so dark and I had to wait a while before my eyes to finally see beyond the darkness and I was exhilarated when I realized it was an alley we just come through. A freaking darkened and abandoned alley for crying out loud! And all along I thought we were going somewhere safe. Somewhere where we can rest and aid my wounded state. I was expecting a tunnel or a safe house but this?! “What the fuck?! Are you trying to get us both killed?!”I asked incredulously as I saw him walked towards that complete darkness. When he didn’t replied, I had to follow him. But it’s hard to know where he gone because it was just too dark. And it’s not as if I could smell or sense him.

I was too furious, too weary and too afraid that I feel like my knees just turned jell-o. I practically fought just to stay upright. That’s when the light almost blinded me coming from nowhere. Am I dead?

“Hop in!” my eyes went wide when I noticed Peter’s voice coming from the driver’s side of the car. “Hop in now!” his voice turned to panic mode when I did not even move. I looked back to what caused his alarm and saw the steel door we just came through almost wrecked. There were already holes in it, that seemed to have woke me up and I immediately hopped in to the car and we drove off into nothingness.

---