For Him.

We make a really good team, though not everyone sees

We got this crazy chemistry between us.

- For Him, Troye Sivan ft. Allday

....................................................................................................

The Owlery was always one of the first places to start collecting ice as Winter started closing in, probably due to how high and exposed it was. The stairs were a death trap, and the climb up took twice as long as it ordinarily would.

Allison shook flecks of not-quite-snow from her hair when she finally reached the summit of the tower, stepping into an ocean of feathers that rippled across the floor with the wind, relaxing at the familiar owl-noises of clicking beaks and soft hoots from the few birds still awake.

Artemis had been her aunt Katherine's gift to her when she had received her acceptance to Beauxbatons. The letter appeared in their grate with a flicker of green flame, nestled in the ashes of floo fire and addressed to Allison Marie Argent in a calligraphic hand.

Katherine had demanded to be the one to take Allison shopping for her school supplies, and they had spent the day sprawling through the hidden magic shops and muggle boutiques of Paris, returning home with arms weighted down by bags full of textbooks and parchment and beautiful clothes, as well as oddities like colour changing ink and shimmering quills, a journal that bit anyone who tried to read it without permission, a chess set inlaid with mother of pearl, and Allison's favourite acquisition, a tawny owlet perched on her shoulder.

She was much bigger now, asleep in one of the darkest parts of the room. Hogwarts of course made sure the owls were given a sheltered and warm place to sleep, but the tower was stone, and Artemis still wasn't used to Scotland's weather. She felt the cold more than the other birds, which made her incredibly easy to find. She was always tucked away in a corner away from the wind, feathers fluffed up so much that she could almost pass for a Puffskein.

"Mon amour," Allison cooed at the sleeping owl, running a finger over the heart shaped outline of her face. "Wake up, my love."

Artemis did not take kindly to being woken up, nipping irritably at Allison's fingers until she produced a handful of treats from her pocket.

Lydia usually joined her on her trips to the Owlery, especially in the morning, when most of the owls were already asleep. But she had been with Kira, and Allison had decided that some time alone with her thoughts wouldn't hurt.

Moments kept replaying in her head - the cut of Malia's eyes towards them from her new place with the boys at mealtimes; Stiles leaning in towards Lydia, watching her expertly concoct a potion that made Slughorn light up with pride; Isaac smiling into a kiss or laughing at something one of his friends had said; Artemis flying newspapers in for her every morning, each headline more horrific than the next - everything was changing so fast, it was near impossible to keep up. She could never fully catch her breath.

Isaac had been her sole companion for the past week - Kira and Malia too caught up in their silent war, and Lydia too caught up in her war with herself - but neither of them minded.

They spent hours in the library immersed in history books and bestiaries, playing chess and cards and sometimes sneaking off to the dark corners full of dusty muggle religious texts that no one had read for centuries to hide from prying eyes.

Isaac was naturally talented at a lot of things - Defense Against the Dark Arts, keeping Scott in check, knowing which Every Flavour Beans to avoid - but kissing hadn't been one of them. Probably a combination of nerves and inexperience, but Allison was nothing if not a willing teacher.