Chapter 8: Birthday blues

I laid down on the bed. My throat was hurting like hell, and I was feeling feverish. Yes, I was sick on my birthday, and it was probably because of too much screaming the previous night.

"Are you sure you'll be fine alone?" Faey asked, concerned. She placed a wet towel on my forehead.

"Yeah. Levira's here. I won't be alone." I gave her an assuring smile.

Belinda sighed. "Okay then. We'll just leave. Take care, okay? Call us if you need anything."

I nodded my head and lifted my handphone up to show them I would be close to a phone to call for help. I waved to the two of them and the three boys as they left the room. Soon after, I fell asleep.

Before I knew it, someone was holding me by my shoulders, shaking me, telling me to get up. I opened my eyes and blinked a few times to see Ethan standing over me. I sat up, frowning.

"What are you doing here?" I muttered, my voice coming out in a whisper. Oh gosh how my throat hurt so. "Why did you wake me up? I want my sleep."

"Faey told me to come back. She was worried you'll get into trouble without anyone here." He passed me a tablet and a glass of water. "Here, eat your medicine."

I raised an eyebrow. "Hmm." I looked down at the tablet. Was this a trick? Another trick for my birthday? Maybe those tablets weren't real tablets to help me recover... "No, I'm not going to eat those. Don't disturb my sleep. Get out. Tell them that I'll be fine." I got ready to return to the embrace of my blankets, but I was stopped by Dimtri when he placed a hand on my shoulder. "What?"

"Eat it. You'll feel better. Ethan went to buy them just now before he came back at the nearby pharmacy."

"I don't want to, okay?" I said, sounding harsher than I intended. "I want to sleep."

Levira flew to me. "Ayla, I know you're feeling cranky, but you shouldn't be doing something like this. It's not right."

I swiped my hand at her. Ethan grabbed at me. "Ayla, I'm using one of those favours. Swallow this tablet, now." He looked at me seriously, eyes blazing.

"No. I don't care. Why should I follow what you tell me to do? I want to sleep. Go away."

"Either you swallow this now or risk your second kiss."

I pressed my lips together, then sighed. "You're irritating," I croaked and did as I was told. "Now, let me sleep. Shoo." And I was once again deep in slumber.

I woke up at around lunch time. By then I still wasn't feeling any better. Ethan told me to wake up so that I could eat something, but I didn't have any appetite, and before he could do anything else, I was sleeping away again.

At mid-afternoon, I woke up naturally on my own. Sitting up, I found Ethan on the floor, reading a rather thick book. "You're still here? Didn't I tell you to go back to Galvin and the others?"

He looked up at me. "Hey, a thank you would be nice. Where are your manners?"

"Whatever," I snapped.

"Feeling better, are we?" Ethan smiled sardonically.

I nodded and stared at the book on his lap. "What are you reading?"

He lifted it up for me to get a better look. The words 'China History' were written across the hard cover. I snatched it from his grasp. I'd always been interested in that topic and couldn't help myself. I started to read it.

Ethan cleared his throat. "Can I get it back now? You've been reading for an hour."

I glanced at him, then at the clock. "What? No. It's just getting interesting!"