Chapter Eleven

Moet’s walking home today.

            Leighton had called her this morning with a congested nose and explained that he had caught the sniffles and wasn’t going to school that day. He’d apologized profusely when he heard Moet utter a disappointed “oh” but Moet reassured him by saying that it was absolutely fine and that it was only a ten-minute walk towards and back from the school. That was an absolute lie—the walk was at least twenty—but what Leighton didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him. Besides, she was still glowing with happiness from last night’s first kiss that she felt like she could run to the school and back without breaking a sweat. It was completely irrational, but she didn’t care much for rationality at the moment. She just hoped that Leighton would feel better tomorrow.

            In the present, she kicks a stone along the concrete sidewalk as she mulls over today’s events. Looking up, she sees that the sky is its usual winter-gray. The first snow should’ve started already. Frowning at this thought, she continues walking forwards towards her house when all of a sudden an all-too-familiar voice stops her in her tracks.

            “How could you?”

            Standing in front of Moet is none other than Dakota. Outside. In public. Where everyone can see her.

            “Dakota! Why are you out here? Someone might see you!” Moet takes a step forward intending to push Dakota towards her house, but the burning gaze of Dakota’s watery blue eyes froze her right where she stood.

            “How could you tell him? It was supposed to be our secret.” Dakota’s words come out strained and half-choked and Moet swears she can see unshed tears glistening in Dakota’s eyes. “How could you involve him? He doesn’t deserve this. He’ll never forgive me, he’ll never forgive me…” Her words trail off as gut-wrenching sobs take their place. Moet didn’t understand. Dakota never cried. She was strong. She never cared about what anybody thought.

            But then again, Quinn wasn’t just anybody.

            “It’s okay, Dakota. Quinn loves you, I’m sure he’ll forgive you—” Right as Moet reaches out to comfort Dakota, the older sister immediately backs away sending daggers with her eyes at the younger.

            “No, it’s not okay! Moet, I love you, but what the fuck were you thinking?” Dakota was yelling now. Looking around, Moet could see passersby shielding their faces from them and rushing past as if they were crazy. She could see a mother pushing her child and murmuring for her son to “avoid eye contact” as they scuttled by.

            “Dakota, lower your voice, people are staring at us…” Moet murmured.

            “Do I look like I give a shit about what other people think?” Dakota screamed, completely contradicting herself. Tears were freely pouring out from her red-rimmed bloodshot eyes by now. Covering her face with her hands, she sobs for a few moments while Moet stays quiet, observing the scene before her with a weighted heart. After a couple minutes, Dakota removes her head from her hands, takes a deep breath and starts in a subdued voice, “I’m sorry for yelling at you, Moet. It’s just that I love Quinn and I hate how everything I’m doing everything is tearing us apart.”