[7] Kaiya

[7] Kaiya

"I think I'm going to go job hunting today."

The sound of my mother speaking was enough to make me look up from my spot on the living room's newest sofa. She was leaning against the wall of the kitchen's entryway staring somewhat lifelessly at the television that was quietly reporting Inkster's latest news. She was decked out in a pair of black pants, a white blouse, and high heels; the very definition of professionalism.

It was only nine in the morning yet I'd been sitting on the couch for well over an hour now, composing a letter to my former school in a desperate attempt to get ahold of the photograph of Tyrone and myself that I had left in my locker. I hadn't spoken much to my mother all morning, especially after directing all my concentration to this letter that I just couldn't seem to get right. I hadn't even noticed her presence.

"A job?"

She nodded, venturing further into the room and dramatically dropping down onto the rocking chair – my dad was a fan and loved buying them – across from me.

"Yeah. I mean, your father is working the oddest hours right now and you've got school keeping you occupied so I figured I should find something to do as well."

"But, like, how?" I couldn't help but ask.

"What do you mean how?" Her confusion was evident as her face fell into a frown.

"I just mean, like, how will you find a job that you actually want?"

She sighed, running a hand through her recently permed hair. I could tell stress was eating at her, and the fact that we hadn't spoken much since our altercation in the cab last week surely couldn't have helped. "I don't know, K."

My mother had been into aromatherapy for as long as I could remember and back in Los Angeles, she had loved her job with all that she had. When the move had been announced, she didn't pitch a fight whatsoever and had simply quit her job. Though her cooperation had been thoroughly appreciated by my father, I knew it couldn't have been easy. My mom loved keeping busy and I had figured that after one week of playing 'housewife' – as commendable as a job like that was – she'd get tired.

"Well, so am I," I announced.

Her attention had shifted to the television when a just-in report came on about a drive-by that had occurred around the Dartmouth Apartments area but returned to me as soon as I uttered those four words.

"Kaiya, you don't need to get a job," she exclaimed.

I shook my head, straightening up from my slouched position. "I may not need one but I do want one. Just as you don't want to be sitting around here being bored, neither do I."

"And where exactly do you plan on looking?"

"Well," I paused, trying to recall all of what I remembered Z saying. "Zacchaeus mentioned an available position at the boys and girls club? I don't exactly know too much about it except that help is wanted. I'm planning to check it out today actually."

"How is Zacchaeus? I haven't seen him around lately."

"You saw him Tuesday, Mom."

She huffed, leaning forward to un-mute the television. "Yeah, well Tuesday was four days ago. Four days too long. He's a very sweet boy, you know."

I eyed her curiously. My mother was, as she often reminded us, the slickest person in our family. She would say one thing to you and it would have a completely different meaning to her. Conversing with her was always tricky.