Chapter 18

The ride home was a silent one, but her mind was in chaos. The tears threatened to fall from her eyes and her throat burned with the weight of the sobs pushing against the walls of her throat.
She told herself she wouldn't cry though, that she wouldn't feel guilt or sadness... Those emotions were foreign to her. Swallowing hard, Cameron glared out the window, looking down at the sea of clouds that surrounded her. She used the tip of her tongue to moisten her seemingly dry lips and withdrew her phone from her purse.

She glanced down at the phone screen, and realized it was blank as ever before. No missed calls, no messages... No nothing. She couldn't help the feeling of dread that consumed her and it gave her time to reflect on her life.

She was alone...she realized that now, and all it took was interaction with a real family, for realization to dawn. It was until she saw the love of another, did she realize, she was lacking in that department. She was always promiscuous, not wanting to get attached to one person, because she knew hurt would be the result, and it happened. That was the sad part...Love went ahead and hurt her, and Cameron didn't want to admit that she was in love with Nate, but she couldn't hide the feeling, no matter how much it grated at her heart. She knew it was a feeling she couldn't deny, even though it had only made itself known in only a few days of being with him.

She didn't even realize she was crying until a teardrop landed on her phone screen. Quickly brushing it off, she glanced around to see if anyone saw her crying. Fortunately, for her, no one did.

•••||•••||••••

"Are you alright?", Marjorie asked, leaning against the doorpost to Nate's bedroom.

Grinding his teeth, he muttered a barely audible, "Yes".

Marjorie sighed and moved closer towards him. She knew she must've asked the same questions over five times, but she was curious to know what was going on in her son's head.

"Cameron wasn't really your fiancée, was she?", she asked, wanting clarity.

"No", came the bland reply.

Marj only nodded, she figured as much.

"Tell me what happened Nate". Her voice was plea like.

Nate momentarily glanced in his mother's direction and he immediately noted the concern that etched on her face. He didn't want to talk about Cameron... He wanted to forget her, but he decided to give his mother the peace of mind, he was so desperately seeking.

He sighed. "I paid her to be my fiancée for the time", he blurted, and was surprised when he didn't hear a gasp or any sign of surprise from his mother.

"Why?", she asked.

"I just blurted it out and I didn't want to disappoint you and I also didn't want to get stuck with Emily here", he told her honestly.

Marjorie stood silent for a while, trying to understand and place the pieces together. She smiled when she got one piece in place.

"So this was all pretend?", she confirmed.

Nate nodded, staring blankly at the carpeted floor.

"So honey, if this was all pretense, why are you so affected by the news?", she cocked a brow.

Nate opened his mouth to reply, but the words didn't come out.

"If this was all pretend, then her past or personal life shouldn't have mattered to you. Unless...", she trailed off, giving him time to process everything.

"If you're implying that I love her, you're sadly mistaken", he quickly defended...too quick, and that was all Marjorie needed for confirmation.

She hunched her shoulders. "I wasn't implying anything", she said, but knew it to be true.

There was a small silence.

"People make mistakes Nathaniel. They are influenced by others and so, they succumb to peer pressure, but that was all in the past", she explained.

"She did drugs and slept with multiple men at once, for Christ's sake!", he yelled in frustration and anger.

Marjorie slightly winced. "And that may seem like a lot to swallow now....it is a lot, but I know you love her".

"I don't", he bit out coldly.

Marjorie moved to him and knelt before him on the floor. She held his chin, so he was looking directly in her face.

"Look me in the eyes and tell me that you don't love Cameron", she demanded in a no-nonsense tone. She swallowed amidst her bravery, not wanting him to confirm her worst fears.

His mouth began moving then he stopped and looked away. Marjorie smiled, his silence speaks a thousand words, or rather...a four-letter word.

Love.

She stood, smiling proudly. "Don't lose your chance at love son, you may never find it again", she smiled.

Nate sighed. "It's like your condoning everything she's done", he blared.

"I am not, but I see that Cameron made mistakes, and I think she's willing to change who she is. She loves you Nate", she exclaimed.

"I don't know mom", he shook his head. "I need some time to...accept all this", he announced.

"Take your time honey, but don't wait until your hearts are too broken to mend", she said, kissed him on the forehead, then left the room, leaving Nate alone with his thoughts.

He sighed, when the door slammed, then began to ponder on his mother's words. He didn't want to make amends, but he knew his heart wanted it. He didn't want to love Cameron Crawford, but it was too late to feel otherwise.
He was angry and hurt, by her actions, and he knew that it shouldn't have affected him the way it did, but it had.

He didn't know when his anger or hurt would allow him to approach Cameron, but until all was settled...they would both have to suffer in silence, or at least at the cries of their hearts.

__________________________________

A/N: Thank you for reading. Please consider giving this chapter a vote if you like it :)

Xoxo