Chapter 26

I ran into the house. I forgot all about how tired I was. I had to find Dalwark or his son William. It was a small house and it did not take me long to search each of the rooms. No one was home. I wondered if something had happened to them on their way back. Maybe they never made it back from the road. I never heard the soldiers speak of them, I was sure they returned home safely. But now where were they? What was I to do? There was no way I would make it in time to warn them. I returned to the barn with my head hung low.

"I take it you did not find them then. I am sorry lad. There is nothing more we can do tonight. My horses have had a long day and the both of us need a rest as well. Let us go into their house and get some sleep. We will think on this in the morning."

I had no more words in me that night, and did not wish to cry in front of the man. I nodded and followed him into the house. He took Dalwark's bed and I the other in the next room. As soon as I was alone I dampened William's pillow with my tears. As I rode next to Steckam that day and we talked of normal and merry things, I thought that everything was going to work out. I thought I would reach the farm in no time and meet my family. They would fight off the men with me and we would make them pay. Now I knew those wishful thoughts could never come true.

I cried because there was no longer a way for me to get to my family in time to warn them. I was even farther away from them now then when I had escaped from that wretched caged wagon. I wished my father had never died so we could have stayed together forever in our village, buying and selling things at our table. I wished I never would have run into the men and just stayed for one more mug of tea at the Egg's Nest Inn. I wished that my father would have killed the men instead of having to let them flee like dogs with their tails tucked between their legs.

I cried into William's pillow wanting to sleep forevermore.

I woke with a start. I looked around. I didn't know where I was, and then some of it came to me. I rolled over and once again realized my father was gone, and that I had to try to save my cousins. Then I remembered the rest. I wanted to die in that bed as my father had in his. I lay there drowning in self-pity for a while until I heard a stir in the next room. It was Steckam waking up in Dalwark's bed. I believe I would have lain in that bed until I starved to death, but then I had a reason to get up. I would do what I could to help Steckam get on his way for the kindness he had shown me. Then I would crawl back into bed and sleep until I was with my Father.

I walked to the barn and started feeding the horses. Soon Steckam came in, his face sympathetic and downcast. He looked awful. I knew what he had to tell me before he had said a word.

"It is alright. I know that you must go to make your profits in the next village. You have already shown me such kindness. Please do not forfeit your livelihood for me."

"I could stay. I do not want to leave you here alone with such uncertainty, or you could ride with me to the next village. There must be some way we can get you a horse."

"I no longer have the means to purchase one. I have nothing. Please just go. You have already given me much of your time and I'm sure your horses will need a lot of rest to recover after that long trip yesterday. You must admit Sir Steckam, there is no way for me to make it in time now."

He didn't say anything. He just fidgeted and sighed many times. He knew I was right but was conflicted. We unpacked some food and ate breakfast in silence. He ate slowly. I believe he was trying to stall for more time to think of a solution but there was none. He finished eating sometime after me and remained sitting silently.

"Please just go, friend. There is nothing more we can do, and I hate to add any more trouble to you."

"I could head back north. Surely there are some goods I could pick up to trade from the village I came from before,"

"You know we would not catch them towing your wagon by now."

"We'll leave it here. I can..."

The sound of the large barn door swinging open interrupted him.

My heart leapt in joy as I saw Dalwark and William enter the barn. "Dalwark! William! I thought something had happened to you!" I cried.

"We are fine, just had some things that kept us out for the night with some sheep and cattle. What are you doing here? Aren't you off to see your family up north?"

I told him of all that had happened. Such a look came upon his face that I almost felt as though he was mad at me. He looked furious and determined.

"Yes, of course you can borrow one of my horses, but I will not let you go alone all that way with those men on the road."

"I would really like that Dalwark, but what about your farm and your son?"

"We have lived here our whole lives and not once has someone bothered us. We know those men aren't headed back this way, and my son can manage the farm by himself for a while, can't you Son?"

"It is the least I can do after you helped my father rescue me from those terrible men. In a way I'll be making it possible for my father to help you stop them from capturing more young men."

"That is true. I don't know what to say."

"It does not matter what you say, for I am coming with you."

"Thank you Dalwark. Thank you William."

I turned to Steckam who looked like he was about to burst with tears of joy.

"And thank you good Sir Steckam."

He nodded, perhaps because words would have made his building tears come.

"I wasn't sure I could even manage a horse on my own all the way up to my grandfather's farm. I know there is no way I could get there in time if I walk. I would love for you to come with me Dalwark. We can do as before, and hear their noisy wagon in time to stop and stay out of sight. As they sleep, we can ride by and get ahead of them."

"That sounds like a fine plan. I am with you on this. Let's get going."