Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Jax saw the fear in her eyes. “What’s wrong?” he grabbed her arms so she wouldn’t fall, she was shaking badly.

“Chloe.” They turned to the man calling her name.

She took a deep breath and didn’t let her fears continue to be in control, not in front of him. “You found me. Pretty ironic since I was leaving town today.” She stared at his face, how could someone so beautiful be so damn evil?

“I finally realized the last place you would go to would be your deadbeat dad’s. I stopped here to ask if anyone has seen you and look here you are. Come home Chloe.” He explained.

“Drop dead Luke.” She said in the same conniving voice he used. “It’s going to be a long day in hell before I go with you.”

His cool attitude slipped, anger taking its place. “That’s my baby too.”

“No.” Tears fell free as she pulled away from Jax. “This is my baby and only mine. The way I see it, you owe me this. Just leave us alone.”

“No. You know me better then that.”

“I thought I did.” she whispered softly to herself, Chloe blinked and met his eyes. “You’re not getting my baby! Consider this payback for what you took from me. What you ripped away.” She grabbed ahold of Jax’s hand. “Get me out of here, please.”

Jax swallowed back hard, he was seeing red but the best he could do was help Chloe now. “Come on.”

Luke said. “This isn’t over. I’m not going anywhere.” He promised.

Chloe turned around to look at him once last time. “No but it will be over.” She climbed on to Jax’s bike, as they drove away the knot in her chest eased. Questions raced through her head; why did Luke let her go so easily, what was his plan? Worst of all; how much would it hurt? She held onto Jax like a lifeline. She tried to focus on the passing scenery rather then Luke’s fresh image in her mind. Moments later she noticed they weren’t going back to the clubhouse, she didn’t care enough to ask where he was going. As much as she tried Chloe couldn’t stop herself from thinking. There was no more running, she had to plan before Luke gained the upper hand again.

Jax pulled into the cabin’s driveway; he cut the engine and stood. The first thing he noticed was her red eyes from crying. He grabbed her hand and led the way inside. She sat on the sofa and time passed before he made the first move. “Talk to me Chloe.”

“I don’t know what to say.” She spoke softly, like a wounded animal.

“Start with the truth.” He moved closer to where she sat. “Trust me.”

“I haven’t told anyone.” Chloe kept her head down, hands clasped tight.

“Tell me.”

“Why?” she cried out.

“Because I want to help you, because I care.” Jax snapped, he didn’t know how else to say it. He sat next to her, waiting.

Chloe believed him. “I didn’t lie that night you took me to the hospital, not really. I just didn’t tell you everything.” She stared at her hands, hoping for strength.

Jax could hear her heart breaking. “Luke’s the father?” she nodded. “He’s the guy you told me about, the one you worked with.” As he watched her face the truth was becoming too painfully clear. “He didn’t just try.”

“No.” Chloe whispered. “He did rape me that night I told you about.” Sighing she continued. “That’s how I got pregnant. We went out that night and he drugged me. I was out of it but I could feel him touching me. I wanted to forget it and I tried to. Months passed but it was eating at me. That’s when I went to talk to Sal; he said he wouldn’t get involved. He acted like it was nothing. I realized then he cared for me as an employee and nothing more. Leaving the office I ran into Luke.” Her voice got quiet. “He didn’t like me telling Sal. He made sure he hurt me that time.”

Jax remembered the bruising on her body. It couldn’t have come from months ago. “Chloe?”

“He held me down.” Her eyes grew distant in the memory; there was no turning it off now. “We lived at the house with Sal, it didn’t take Luke long to drag me to his room. No one heard my screams. We fought like crazy but he won, he always fucking wins.” She pulled at her hair. “He can’t get this baby.”

“He won’t.” Jax said, promising as he held her hand. “Why haven’t you killed him?” the question was reasonable considering her past.

“Because he always wins.” She repeated. “No one’s ever gotten the upper hand before. I---”

“You don’t want to hurt him?”

“No I do I just don’t know how. Death has always seemed too easy. I’m stuck with these memories. I want him to leave me alone. I want to forget.” She rocked back and forth, the tears endless as they fell down to her lap.

“You kept saying he owed you.”

“Yeah too bad he doesn’t see it that way. I didn’t get to be a normal kid. I didn’t have friends, I didn’t go to the prom and Luke made sure I didn’t loose my virginity in the normal way either.” With the floodgate open it became easier to admit the rest.

Jax didn’t know what to say, he wanted to strangle Luke and make sure his death wasn’t easy. He looked at her; she was a mess. She had never pulled away from his touch; he inched closer and hugged her. “It’s ok.” He whispered, his own emotion welling up behind his eyes. She laid her head on his shoulder, his fingers running lightly through her hair.

As minutes passed Chloe realized for the first time since her mom died she felt safe. “Jax?” she sat up and met his eyes. “Kiss me. Luke didn’t take that away from me and—I want you to kiss me.” her heart raced with fear and anticipation.

Jax had thought about kissing her for days, except the timing was never right and he wasn’t sure if now was it either. He laid his hands over her cheeks, drying them. “Are you sure?”

“Nothing you do could ever remind me of him.”

Answering his unspoken fear Jax wasn’t going to deny her. She finally trusted him and it felt pretty damn good. He wanted to make her feel good, to forget about Luke at least for that moment. He moved slowly, his hands burying themselves in her hair, their lips lightly touching. He could feel the eagerness pouring from her body, it made him want her more, and more then he could have. He planted small kisses against her lips before deepening the moment entering her mouth as her lips parted. Chloe kissed him back as time passed and she found her own instinct.

Jax pulled back. “Oh shit.” He hissed.

“What?”

“Don’t take it the wrong way.” he ran his finger across her bottom lip. “It’s better if we stop.”

“Oh.” She smiled after noticing he was turned on. “You know I was scared things would change and you wouldn’t want to be around me anymore.”

“Why?”

“I thought you’d see this damaged fucked up in the head nut job, which I am, but I didn’t want you to think I---to think I was dirty or something.”  

“What happened wasn’t your fault.” He made sure to keep holding her hand as his way of telling her he was there.

“It really would’ve helped if I left after the first time. You know why I didn’t? It’s screwed up but I didn’t want to fail Sal, I thought he needed me.” Sighing and pushing the last of her tears away she looked at Jax. “I bared my soul now it’s your turn. What’s going on with Tara?”

“I don’t know.” He shrugged; it was as honest as he could be.

“Maybe it was a bad idea to ask you to kiss me. She’s ok, you should figure out what’s there. Gemma will hate it, too bad I’ll miss it.” Chloe mused.

Anger flicked along Jax’s face. “What?”

“I’m still leaving town.”