Chapter Two

Sam

"Dude, I'm curious- when was the last time you got laid?" Dylan pauses for just a beat before forging ahead with the conversation, "I'm being totally serious right now."

Sadly, I know he is.

Not bothering to answer, because doing so will only perpetuate the conversation, I glance around the Sigma party which is just as ridiculously jam-packed and out of control as I suspected it would be. We're talking elbow to elbow crowd, music at an ear shattering decibel, a few games of strip beer pong already in progress, drinks galore from the makeshift bar, and, if my nose isn't deceiving me, a few bowls of pot being passed around.

Hell, it isn't even ten yet. This party is just getting started. But none of that stops me from zeroing in on Violet like a heat seeking missile. Even though she's clear across the room, I continue to keep sights locked on her.

Hoisting the beer to my lips, I take a long swig. "What? You keeping tabs on me or something?"

Because that's not creepy...

A knowing brow slowly slides its way across his forehead. "I don't have to. You're coiled tighter than a freaking spring. It's completely obvious what your problem is. You need to get all that poison out. Mark my words, it'll end up messing with your mojo out on the field."

I nearly laugh at that.

Fucking poison?

Is he serious?

Stupid question... of course he is.

Hoping to stifle any more questions or unsolicited advice regarding my current poison situation, I shoot Dylan a look before my eyes bounce right back to Violet.

And the fucktard trying to make moves on her.

Christ... just look at him over there.

He's so damn close, he's practically mauling her. And watching him run his fingers up and down her soft-as-silk cheek has me grinding my molars together in silent aggravation. Not a moment later, her lips curve upwards before she laughs at whatever the hell he's yammering on about. She may be a good forty feet from me, but I can still tell she's got those damn fuck me eyes going on.

Yeah... that is so not going to happen on my watch.

"Uh oh," Dylan chortles, "looks like it's just about time for you to run off another one."

My head snaps towards him.

Finally.

That's got to be the first sensible thing that's come out of his mouth all night. "You're abso-fucking-lutely right." I down the rest of my beer before shoving the empty plastic cup into Dylan's hand. "Good call." Not wanting to waste another minute, I clap him on the shoulder before taking off.

"Dude, I was freaking kidding! Get your pathetic ass back here before you embarrass yourself even further!"

I don't bother responding. I think we both know that it's too damn late for that. At this point, I'm a man on a mission. And that mission is to get the encroaching usurper away from my girl.

Now, whether or not she wants that, is totally up for interpretation.

This isn't the first time I've run off some dude and it certainly won't be the last either. It's not like I don't understand the attraction. I'd have to be blind not to. Violet Winterfield is absolutely gorgeous. She's got all this long thick blonde hair. Not to mention big brown almond shaped eyes fringed with dark lashes. And I'm not even going to start talking about the sweet little body she's rocking, because getting a woody at this point in the evening would only further solidify my pathetic status.