Tal

Riiing! Riiing! Riiing!

Senior year's first day was always great, because at this point we were the largest class. Freshman class this year was virtually nothing, so I was looking forward to being able to relax and go wherever I pleased without being bombarded by younger kids.

"Leyah! Hey Ley!" shouted Tal as they ran towards me, arms spread.

"Tal! How was your summer in Venice?" I inquired, embracing them warmly.

"Well, I... I told my parents, about, me being..." Tal leaned down and whispered into my ear, "transgender." He snapped his lips shut quickly.

Tal looked down at the ground and his light brown hair flopped over his eyes, so I brushed it out of his face and smiled.

"Oh my gosh, Tal, how did it go?" I pondered softly, nudging his arm.

I glanced down at Tal's hand and wanted to grab it so badly. I wanted to plant kisses all over this gorgeous human being and remind him everyday how incredible he was.  I couldn't imagine how terrifyin such a conversation would be.  I also couldn't fathom how strong Tal was, let alone anyone who discovered they were transgender.  Guilt settled in my stomach knowing that I had forced the wrong pronouns on my best friend for almost 14 years before he had corrected me.  However, my guilt was merely one star in the entire universe compaired to what al had gone through and would continue to go through.  It seemed from an outsider's perspective that any Transgender person had to deal with what seemed like the weight of an entire galaxy hanging over them.

"It went okay, actually.  I mean... I was in shock at how well they took the news.  To be honest Leylah, I think they've known for a while.  Mainly because I made them start calling me Tal, and started binding... which appeared obvious to them.  Even though I knew they would accept me, it still terrified me, Leylah, I'll never be out to everyone.  There will always be a time I'll need to stop and say I'm transgender... but on a lighter note, since my parents are the only gay couple in town, I think they kind of hope I'm gay," he chuckled, trying to act as though he hadn't glazed over one of the deepest discussions we'd had in his entire lifetime.

I hope you like girls, I wanted to say, I hope you like me, and I hope that you know you're safe.

From there, Tal and I glided to class. We both had a free fourth period, so we could leave early for lunch, and we couldn't wait. It'd be like little lunch dates together everyday, and that made Tal especially happy.

"I just can't wait to spend all this extra time with you! We can talk about the bakery!" Tal's mouth seemed to run a million miles per minute, but I could listen to him on repeat.

"Yeah, we'll see, but I look forward to getting to talk more about you," I shot him a shor, but sweet, smile.

If only he knew how much he meant to me.  While we walked along the cream-colored hallway, everything seemed to slow.  I couldn't imagine the weight on Tal's shoulders, or how he managed to hold it together.  I decided right then and there that I had never known a stronger human being.  Whenever I built my bakery, I knew I not only wanted it to profit for our town, but I wanted to send profit to a foundation that would assist people like my best friend.  I wanted money to go to a place that would let transgender children of all ethnicity and age that they were loved and important.  

If only he knew what he had inspired, just by coming out to me when he was 14.  Just by having one of the shortest, but most heart felt, conversations.  Not only were we best friends, we were allies to each other.  It wasn't as safe for other queer kids as it was for us, and I knew just by looking at how free Tal know felt, I wanted to make every queer child and adult feel that way.

"Leylah?" Tal stared profoundly at me, cocking his head to the side, "What are you thinking about?"

I had hardly realized that while we were strolling through the school grounds I hadn't spoken a word.  "Oh!" I stuttered, trying to collect my thoughts rapidly, "Well... I guess it just dawned on me that not everyone is as blessed as we are... I just want every lgbtq+ person to be able to feel free in their own skin.  I want all of the people on planet Earth to feel... beautiful." I trailed off towards the end of my short speech, hoping Tal would recognize my genuine desire to help him, and others like him.

"That's really a wonderful thing to say Leylah.  I couldn't agree more," Tal let a toothy grin paint his face, "And you really nailed the feeling; beautiful.  I feel handsome and beautiful all at once.  I think I feel free, like I don't have to hide.  I want that too, Leylah, I want others to know they're beautiful, too." He grinned down at the floor, finishing up his charming response.

Oh, Tal, I wanted to let him know what I thought then and there, you are handsome.  Your walk and talk and charm are perfect.  Your very being encompasses all of what I imagine beauty to be.

Yet instead of letting my emotions burst out of me like a flood I just smiled; I continued smiling on my walk down the hallway as I let my eyes swallow all of Tal that they possibly could.  Tal seemed so secure and sure of himself, but I knew he would have uphill battles on the horizon.  I also knew that if anyone was going to help Tal win those battles, it would be me, fighting by his side until I couldn't fight anymore.