Untitled Part 6

The cool wind from the ocean is a blast of refreshment. Taking in a deep breath, I remember why I came here. "This place is so beautiful."

"It's not something we normally ask other people, but I find that I want to know about you, so, I am going to ask. Why the Keys? By the sound of your accent you are from the south. So, was it a long trip or are you from Florida?" I laugh at how many questions he asks all at once.

"Slow down." I say feeling strangely comfortable with Gabe. Something about him makes me feel safe. "I am from North Carolina. I didn't come here to start over as much as I came here to live out the rest of my life. I decided I would rather die trying to live verses allowing someone else to decide when my last day would be." I wonder if he understands what I really mean, without me saying it.

Gabe pulls the black, suit jacket he is wearing behind him and pushes his hands in his pockets. His white shirt is unbuttoned by four buttons. I really hadn't noticed what he was wearing until now. He looks so different than he did at the house. The wind tussles his hair like unseen fingers.

"You look like a business man." I say. His laugh fills my ears as the wind carries it away. "What's so funny?"

"I guess, I am a business man in a way. But, my favorite thing is scuba diving. I give lessons at Tortuga. The reef is one of the most amazing things you will ever see. The life, the colors, it's like another world."

"I have seen brochures. The only way to get there is by ferry or helicopter. It's not cheap either."

"Why don't you let me take you?" Gabe asks, excitement filling his voice. "We can take the ferry for free. You will be my assistant. I may even be able to get you paid for it." Gabe says. "Have you ever been scuba diving?"

"No, I haven't. I have always wanted to though." I stumble over a rock, not seeing it until my boot made contact with it. Gabe grabs my arm to hold me up. Out of instinct, I grab back. There is no space between us. Clearing my throat, I let go and push away from him. "Sorry, I'm clumsy." Gabe didn't respond, but smiled and pushed his hands back into his pockets.

The pier is just ahead. The lamps has most of the pier bright. "Is this where you plan on staying?" Gabe points to the pier.

Nodding, "Yes. I hear it's the safest place to stay." I smile, knowing he is the one that said so.

"Yeah, it's not the best place, it's just better than any place else." He stops walking and faces me. "The best place would be the house. I can protect you there, Christian. You can have my bed. I will sleep on the floor beside you. Or, I will sleep in the living room." His hands rubbed both my arms. I let him.

The thought of staying in a bed, possibly, getting a real night's sleep made my heart ache for it. "I don't want to put you out of your own bed." I say leaning in to him, just enough that our shirts touch.

"Believe me, I would be glad to." His voice deepened, as did his eyes. With the passion he is visibly fighting, he removes his hands and walks again. "So, will you come?"

"Yes, yes I will." I say, smiling as the dimples show on his.

"Good, very good."

***

As we walk in the house, I see Baylee and Penelope laying on the hanging cushions. Each one has stacks of money, counting it and writing something in books on their laps. Casey comes bouncing down the steps, "What is she doing here?" Instantly, I feel defensive.

"She is with me." Gabe said, putting his hand on my shoulders. Looking back into the living room, I see Penelope cutting her eyes at me. I know, from experience, it's over Gabe. She is jealous, or either concerned.