EPILOGUE: In Which She Survives "The Drought"

*****************************************

"Don't say another word, sweetheart," I pleaded into the phone, awkwardly meeting Ophelia's eyes over her novel. I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. "I've got Ben 10 in the background and two innocents within earshot."

"Dad?" Fee mouthed at me, leaning back into the couch.

I nodded in response.

"They can't hear me," Devin reasoned, noise resounding in the background. "So answer my question, baby."

My insides turned liquid. "You know what my answer is," I said softly, although I was probably drowned out by the TV. "It's always the same."

"Yeah?" His voice was husky, thick. "Sweetheart, I bet you're wet for me."

"Yes," I said, feeling my throat dry up in contrast.

"You want my cock inside you."

"You already know that's what I want. Just get home." I was glad that he was already in the country and was only hours away from our place.

"You want me to fuck you to sleep."

"Always." I licked my lower lip. "Every night."

"You want me to eat you like I'm on death row. Suck that gorgeous clit of yours and tongue-fuck your sweet cunt until you beg me to stop."

I was begging now. "Dev, stop," I breathed, sitting up on the couch and crossing one leg over the other. "Please."

"And when I'm eating you, you'll be moaning my name the way you do and shit, Ror, you'll come hard enough to break something."

"Oh," I exhaled, toes curling. "I want you now."

Of course, Ophelia, with her bat-like hearing, heard me.

"Are you guys having phone coitus again?" she asked loudly, so loud her father heard over the phone and laughed his beautiful laugh. "Ew," she ejected.

Calvin, who was sprawled on the carpet, looked up at us curiously, always wanting to be in on things. "What's phone coitus?"

"Ophelia Shaw!" I hissed. I gave my son a concerned look. "Your sister's just made a terrible joke." At nine, he was far too young to learn what "phone coitus" meant. Quite frankly, sixteen-year-old Fee was, too.

She let out a laugh. "Relax, Mama Bear. I won't go into detail. Only if you guys don't."

"If she's having phone coitus with anybody, you'd tell me, right?" Devin's voice was in my ear.

I rolled my eyes although he couldn't see. "Right, baby. Get your pretty little butt home safely, okay?"

"We'll continue this conversation in the bedroom, OK?"

"Yes. Can't wait. I've missed you."

I could almost imagine him smiling. "Not as much as I've missed you, Nancy Drew."

Heat flushed my face. "Ten years later and that name's still stuck, huh?"

He laughed again. "Six months." His voice became solemn. "You remember that?"

"Longest six months of my life," I said seriously. "How could I not?"

It really had been the longest six months of my life. I'd gone without sex for four years before Devin but six months of officially being together – with no sex – had been torture. It hadn't mattered that it was my idea; it had still been agony. Still, it was worth it. I'd needed to know that Devin, sexual fiend that he was, wasn't with me just for sex.