Chapter Three: The Nature of Evil

"Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was. So will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." ~Thranduil

The orc growled, squirming and swaying under the firm grip of Legolas.

"You were tracking a company of thirteen dwarves," Legolas pressed his blade against the orc's throat. "Why?"

"Not thirteen." the orc puffed, his mouth twisting into an awful grimace, "Not anymore. The young one... the black-haired archer." The orc turned his beady eyes on Tauriel.

"We stuck him with a Morgul shaft," he taunted, lips pulled back into a sneer, "The poison's in his blood. He'll be choking on it soon."

How dare the revolting orc speak of her friend with his foul tongue.

"Answer the question, filth." Tauriel spoke quietly and levelly, but it was clear to both Legolas and Thranduil that the aggressive elf did not have complete control over her temper, and had not yet fully mastered the elven art of remaining composed and disinterested. One more insult from his repugnant mouth, and she might find it very difficult to keep her distance and remain nonchalant.

"I do not answer to dogs, she-elf!" the orc spat in his repulsive language, writhing under the unforgiving hold of Legolas. Tauriel drew a dagger without hesitation, an impassive look on her face, but a cold malice in her eyes.

"I would not antagonize her."

"You like killing things, orc? You like death?" Tauriel demanded, eyes flashing with hatred. "Then let me give it to you!" She stepped forward swiftly, and was in front of the orc with her dagger at his throat in a moment. Her eyes burned with a malicious fire.

"Enough!" Thranduil commanded in elvish, stopping her at the last second. "Tauriel, leave. Go now."

She glanced up, the fire still in her glaring eyes. But then she schooled her face into cool indifference, acknowledged the king briefly, and obeyed. The orc made a hissing, cackling sound, in the manner of a child, defiant and satisfied at winning an argument or tattling on someone else. The horrible sound mocked and scorned her as she clenched her teeth and walked away slowly. It had taken all her will to lower her weapon and break the vengeful glower she had been giving the orc.

****

Legolas and Thranduil resumed their interrogation of the orc without Tauriel.

You know nothing! the orc had gurgled, Your world will burn...

"My master... serves the One... Do you understand now, elfling? Death is upon you... The flames of war are upon you!" The orc's raucous laughs were cut off as Thranduil, with his eyes flashing dangerously, swung his sword and completed the task he ordered Tauriel to reluctantly abandon.

Legolas held the dead orc's head, examining it with a look of disgust. "Why did you do that? You promised to set him free!" He dropped the head on the floor. Legolas had detested the orc's company no less than Tauriel, but he did not believe in breaking promises.

"But I did." Thranduil's bored expression and regal stance remained. "I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders." The king stomped on the orc's still wriggling leg.

"There was more the orc could tell us." Legolas felt the same distaste toward the brute as any other, but he was levelheaded and practical, unlike his father and best friend, who were hostile and sometimes yielded to their own anger, letting wrath take over. Legolas was by no means docile, but he kept a cool, rational head and would not be provoked.

Sometimes he wished Tauriel thought more with her head, which was very intelligent and sensible, than her rage and instinct to seek revenge. She was a logical thinker, and if she had been more inclined to use strategy, rather than ignoring all reasonable answers and acting on her fury, she would be so much safer. And he wanted nothing more than for her to stay safe.

"There was nothing more he could tell me." Thranduil said, with resentful attitude. Your world will burn... death is upon you. That was more than enough information for the elven king; it wouldn't be difficult to fill in the gaps. And even if they might have gotten helpful confirmation from the nasty creature, killing it was entirely worth it.

"What did he mean by 'flames of war'?" Legolas inquired.

"It means they intend to unleash a weapon so great it will destroy all before it." Thranduil raised his authoritative voice for the guards to hear. "I want watch doubled at our borders; all roads all rivers. Nothing moves but I hear of it. No one enters this kingdom... and no one leaves it."

A/N: Thanks for reading! I know the actual Tauriel x Legolas ship part is taking a while to come into play, but I didn't want my story to be only based off of a pairing.