Chapter Twenty-eight

Josh pushed open the apartment door. Clem strutted out, meowing and winding between Abbie's legs. Abbie picked up the cat as she peeked into the living room. Everything looked quiet. They stepped into the dimly lit apartment. Josh in front. Abbie, cradling Clem in her arms, one step behind.

A lamp shined in the living room. The TV was showing an old episode of the Twilight Zone. Wrapping paper and uneaten cake still lay scattered on the coffee table. Clem meowed as Abbie turned toward the kitchen.

Dharma came around the corner, her black lace dress flowing. She carried a plate with a slice of cake on it. Josh jumped. Clem leaped out of Abbie's arms and landed on the floor. Dharma screamed and dropped the plate. Chocolate cake spilled to the carpet.

"Dharma," Abbie screamed. "What are you doing here?"

"I came over to check on you." Dharma put a hand on her chest, as if feigning a heart attack. She took a couple of breaths, then leaned down to pick up pieces of crumbling cake in the carpet. She straightened, placing the soiled cake on the plate, and licked her fingers. "Your door was unlocked. Wide open in fact."

"We left the door open?" Abbie looked back at it, then over at Clem. She was glad the cat didn't run out. She stared at Dharma. "What are you doing here?"

"I didn't want you to be alone. Not after everything that happened." Dharma finished licking her fingers then waved her hand as if she were drying her nails.

Abbie rushed to her and wrapped her arms around her, hugging her tightly. Just a few hours ago, Dharma was a nameless classmate in Professor Cunningham's class. Now she was a familiar face. One Abbie was thankful to see.

Josh brushed past them, checking the apartment. He walked into Susan's bedroom. Abbie ignored him.

"I'm just in shock." She sat down on the sofa.

"Me too." Dharma sat beside her. She placed the plate of chocolate cake crumbs on the coffee table. "I didn't know Susan very well, but she seemed nice."

"I hope she pulls through." Abbie watched Josh walk out of Susan's bedroom then disappear into her bedroom. She looked back at Dharma. "She was still in surgery when I left the hospital."

"She'll make it." Dharma covered Abbie's hands with her own. "She's a strong woman."

Josh came out of Abbie's bedroom. He moved to the side chair and sat on the arm, shaking his head.

"It's all clear," he said. Clem crossed the rug in front of Josh, tail swaying.

Abbie looked down at her chipped cell phone. She typed a message then waited for an answer.

"What are you doing?" Josh leaned closer to her.

"I'm texting Charlie Hicks."

He took her phone and set it on the coffee table. "I told you to leave this alone. I'm turning it off. "

"But I have to do something."

"There's nothing else you can do tonight but get some sleep."

"Who's Charlie Hicks?" Dharma asked.

"He's the man that's been following me. He was on top the roof at that old cigar factory." Abbie watched as Clem laid down beneath the coffee table, licked a paw, pawed his face. Abbie looked back at Dharma. "He helped me up and said he was protecting me."

"Protecting you?" Dharma asked. "I don't get it."

Josh stood and reached toward Abbie. "I get it. He rescued you when you were a child. That's a powerful influence. But I don't think you're seeing this for what it is."