Chapter 10: Wronged

Momma took Jade home, fuming with anger. Jade shivered. The way Connie had easily killed Endeavor Oaks had shook her so much, she was oblivious to everything. Voices echoed in her head.

He’s gone, Jade. Forever.

Endeavor was so much to you, and she just killed him

“No!” Jade shrieked. “He’s not dead! He can’t be! Go away, and stop troubling me!”

“It’s enough, Jade, more than enough. How long are you going to take this? Aren’t you sick of this silly game?” Eileen said, exasperated.

“It’s not a game, Momma! Please, believe me! These people keep telling me horrible things about Cornelia, and then fill me up with lies!”

“Which people, Jade? You’re alone all the time! You don’t communicate or interact with anybody. I’ve tried so hard trying to sympathise with you, thinking you only lack attention. But you don’t give up!” said Momma, pressing hard on the last two words and banging on the steering wheel to emphasize. “I’m tired of you telling me that you see Cornelia when she was dead more than a month ago! You tell me that you’re nightmares come true, you tell me that Cornelia has marred your face, you tell me she killed a boy you saw just today, and you expect me to just go on believing it?”

“But Momma…” Jade whimpered.

She had never seen Momma so angry and upset with her, and it scared her.

“No, Jade, enough of your arguments. The doctors had sampled a DNA test of your scar, and they found only your traces in it, not Cornelia. Martin and I thought you probably needed us to focus more on you, so we stayed at home most of the time, tending to you. I will not say that I didn’t want to help you, Jade, but I think it’s enough with all this mumbo jumbo of you ‘seeing’ things,” Eileen said.

Jade was horrified. The doctors thought she’d hurt herself! How could they? She wasn’t mad to do that! Why would she ruin her own face?

‘How would you explain the burnt grass that day then?’ A sentence. Not from her mind, but it just slipped out. Like those voices she’d been hearing.

Instantly her hands flew to her mouth.

“I’m so sorry, Momma. I didn’t mean to say that. I didn’t even say it. That voice in my head is making me say all this!” Jade blurted, getting hyper.

But Momma wasn’t listening. A hand left the steering wheel and lashed across Jade’s face. “Don’t ever talk that way to me again.”

Jade winced at the impact. Her eyes welled up and she began to sob.

Her mom had been the only one who believed that Jade wasn’t crazy, and now, she’d lost her, too.

Hopes seeped out of her tight fist like sand, and a brutal wave of loneliness capsized her boat of faith.