THE PORTENT: Naioma's Prodigy - PROLOGUE

*THIS IS STILL AN UNEDITED FIRST DRAFT. Please don't mind the grammatical and spelling errors for now. It is already being edited and revised at the moment. Thank you for understanding. - Jen*

THE PORTENT BOOK I

PROLOGUE

I was sleeping but I know I was awake. Lightning... thunder struck as I went out of my shallow dream. I automatically searched for my phone beside my pillow. But it wasn't there. Maybe I left it inside my drawer. I blinked my eyes once, twice, a few times more. Every image was rays of light. It was still midnight but there were strong beams that irritated my sight. I covered it with my cold hands and tried to get up. The window was covered by something that was as bright as the sun.

I walked to see what it was. I first looked back to the bed next to mine where my brother, Quill, was sleeping. He's still unconscious lying in his bed, not sensing what was happening around him. As I fearfully went near the window... the light slowly vanished. Bit by bit, I saw an image. Something I know but never saw in my own naked eyes. The image was clearer now. It was a shadow of a creature that was not supposed to be here. Its wings were wide and dominating. I should be more afraid by this time, but I was not. I was shivering brought by the cold air of the night, not with this creature sneaking outside our room.

I was curious more than any emotion available in this situation. It was the most familiar thing in my existence. I slowly raised my hand and looked straight down my wrist. There it laid, the same image...the same shadow that bugged me for years. I looked up. I cautiously looked back and it was there. Using its big round eyes to assess my presence. I stared as it did the same. The secret I was hiding for a long time. The mark. I thought it was just a coincidence but now it appeared right in front of me.