Chapter Two.

"You sure you two know where you're going? You took a look at your schedules?" Mom asks, leaning into my car window.

"Yes mom, we're fine." I insist, rolling my eyes.

"Okay, well, see you two after school." She kisses me on the forehead and blows Charlie a kiss.

"Love you," Charlie smiles as I put the car in drive.

I mess with my radio as I drive to Masterson High School. I settle on my 'Florence + The Machine' CD. I swear the only radio stations they have here, are country ones. I like all sorts of music, but country is a genre that I cannot get into.

"You know, you really should be nicer to Mom and Dad. They're under a lot of stress with Aunt Maggie already, they don't need you adding more," Charlie scolds me.

I shoot a dirty look at him. Who is he to say that I'm causing all the stress? I hate when he calls me out like this. He's not my parent.

"Shut up, Charlie. Mind your own damn business," I snap back, gripping my steering wheel tighter.

"Look, I don't want to be here anymore than you do, but acting like a child is not going to help anything," He shrugs.

"Screw you," I grumble and turn the music louder.

I look over at my younger brother. What possibly is going through his brain, that makes him think that he has the right to tell me what to do? And, at what age did this sudden power-trip start happening?

I pull into the school's parking lot, where I see many pickup trucks similar to the ones those irritating kids where driving yesterday. People stare at me from everywhere; their cars, the sidewalk, inside the school doors.

How many days until graduation?

"See you at lunch, Gus," Charlie says, patting my back before he heads into the school doors. If it was any other day, I would have punched him for calling me 'Gus'. I hate it when people call me that.

I watch my brother automatically blend in. He looks so normal in his white t-shirt and dark jeans. Girls take notice of him right away. I look down at my own outfit; a t-shirt, cardigan, jeans and moccasins. Then, I look at the other girls' outfits; A sweatshirt, jeans and athletic shoes. It's like a repeat of Sunday.

I throw my backpack over my shoulder and make my way into the school, looking at my schedule. My first class is Calculus with Mrs. Sherber.

As I walk through the halls, I hear a chorus of whispers, and murmurs.

"New girl,"

"California,"

"Hipster,"

"Freak,"

"Weirdo,"

"Why is she here?"

I just hold my head up high and walk to my class. I pass the same group that harassed me yesterday. I pretend not to notice them, but they don't let me get very far.

"Hey, it's Cali girl!" The same guy that shouted at me before, yells at me again.

I continue on walking, acting as if they weren't there.

"Hey, didn't they teach you manners back where you're from?" He shouts, and grabs my arm.

I whip around and tear my hand from his grip. My eyes widen slightly, as I have to look up to see him. He has to be at least 6'6'', if not more. He towers over me with a smirk. He looks like a typical Wisconsin boy; a flannel, jeans and Nike's.

"Obviously you weren't taught any here," I snap at him, taking a step back, so I'm not nose-to-chest with him. "But, I knew that just by looking at you," I look at him, and his little group of followers.