Prologue

"Two fingers up, you know nothing about me, and one finger up to the fuck tryna' doubt me."

The studio was a hive of activity as I took a step back after finishing up my latest music with a sigh. I'd been here almost every day for a while now, and I never got tired of the gray-black walls, their lights flickering evey so often at the work of Mike, behind the scenes. I'd been working with Mike and Dan for as long as I could remember, and I'd never change a thing about either of them.

Taking a seat in the leather chair across the room, I picked up the bottle of water I'd left, taking a few gulps before surveying my surroundings; it was very rare that I ever got to really observe them. By choice or by necessity, I did not know.

Mike stood at the opposite end of the room, sighing as he ran a hand through his hair and said something to the woman beside him, Wren, who ran to get something and disappeared from view. 

My phone suddenly started beeping, interrupting my thoughts, and I pulled it out to check whatever message I'd recieved: a Twitter notification. I smiled slightly as I read through the messages my fans had left on my posts, all of them supportive and encouraging. I knew I'd do anything for the team. They were as much my family as my parents.

"Mark?" 

I looked up to see Dan taking a seat beside me, a curious look on his face. "Hi, Dan." I nodded at him, before tucking the phone back in my pocket.

"What's going on?" 

"Nothing," I replied and Dan looked around quietly, before leaning towards me. I was painfully aware of the distance between us- three inches, to be exact, but didn't move away.

His next words chilled me to the oblivion.

"They're coming for you."