Prologue

Prologue

                Pebblefur stared in dismay at his dying leader. Leaf-bare had struck RiverClan hard, with greencough already being the cause of many deaths. “Tawnystar, no!” he wailed. “I’m not ready to be Pebblestar!”

                The flame-colored she-cat opened her mouth to speak but another fit of coughing passed through her body. “You’ve been a faithful deputy. I trust you to lead my Clan well.”

                Pebblefur nodded, trying to regain control of his emotions. “I’ll do my best.”

                Tawnystar didn’t reply. The light slowly faded out of her eyes and Pebblefur moaned with grief, burying his head in her fur. He heard Tigerstep approaching. “Pebblefur, we must leave,” she meowed gently. “You need to receive your nine lives at the Moonpool.”

***

                Salmonstar stepped back and Pebblestar breathed in her scent one final time. The StarClan cats were chanting his new name. But suddenly, the scene changed.

                Pebblestar was standing on a branch of the RiverTree in the RiverClan camp. But none of his Clanmates were there. Then, he heard a dreadful roaring sound. It grew steadily louder until it was unbearable. It abruptly faded to be replaced by Salmonstar’s voice. “Horses’ territory will part the great river in two.”

                Confused, Pebblestar awoke by the Moonpool.

***

                Six moons passed and Pebblestar pushed the ominous prophecy to the back of his mind. He was sharing a fish with his sister and deputy, Minnowstream, when Troutleap yowled, “I hear this strange growling noise!”

                The camp fell silent and Pebblestar listened intently. He leapt to his paws, heart pounding with fear. It was what he’d heard in his dream after the naming ceremony! He scrambled up onto the RiverTree and saw a herd of gigantic yellow monsters racing towards them. “RiverClan, leave the camp! Head for the Fallen Oak! Warriors, help the kits and elders and leave no cat behind!”

                The monsters’ paws tore up the earth behind them wherever they touched. Pebblestar raced towards the nursery, grabbing one of Goldenshine’s kits in his jaws. The queen gave him a grateful look before reaching for her other kit.

                Pebblestar leapt into the river and swiftly swam across before following the trail to the Fallen Oak. After waiting awhile, he gathered his Clan to make sure that every cat was accounted for. Fortunately, each of his Clanmates seemed to have safely escaped.

                At sunrise the next day, after a night of little sleep, Pebblestar left to investigate the danger. He returned with the worst possible news. “RiverClan, the monsters have already uprooted the RiverTree, destroyed our dens, and they appear to be filling in the stream surrounding the camp. I…I think they’re trying to expand horse-place.”

                Terrified chattering broke out throughout the crowd. Pebblestar signaled with his tail for silence. The noise quieted but as the RiverClan leader was about to speak, Dusktail cried, “What are we going to do about it?”

                Pebblestar took a deep breath and tried to look confident for the sake of his Clan. “Without the river, our territory can no longer sustain all of us. Some of you must leave!”

A/N: What do you think will happen next! :D Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed, and please comment!